Despite the absence of some of the original series' mainstays, Martin says ancient Westeros will still be full of familiar families and creatures. There have even been suggestions that we'll see the origins of House Lannister.
Martin said a year ago that the series would show Westeros as a very different place, with no King's Landing, no Iron Throne and no Targaryens.
Talking about the famed White Walkers from the show, Martin revealed they will be a part of the show, "Obviously the White Walkers are here or as they're called in my books, "The Others" and that will be an aspect of it". When the series begins, neither the Starks nor the Lannisters will be great, powerful families of renown.
"The Lannisters aren't there yet, but Casterly Rock is certainly there; it's like the Rock of Gibraltar", says Martin.
With Watchmen premiering this fall and Westworld returning for its third season in 2020, HBO is likely in no rush to usher in a new big-budgeted prestige drama, meaning they'll give the minds behind the Game of Thrones prequel all the time they need. That said, Casterly Rock is there, full of Casterlys. Jane Goldman and Martin himself are the show's creators, with Goldman the showrunner. The first is that the series takes place at a time when the Realm was made up of almost a hundred minor kingdoms, a far cry from the seven it came to know. Previous reporters indicated the working title of the show was Bloodmoon, with The Long Night being Martin's preferred title, according to Entertainment Weekly. However, he's okay with another version of that.
Finally, Martin also spoke about the show's possible title. "That would be pretty good", he said.
In the prequel, the geopolitical domain of Westeros is going to be far more fractured because the continent will be divided into roughly 100 kingdoms.
A reminder that the showrunner for the show is Jane Goldman, who has worked on the screenplays for the Kingsman movies, X-Men: First Class, Kick-Ass, and Stardust (among others), and the pilot is now being filmed in Northen Ireland.
- United States court rules it's UNCONSTITUTIONAL for Trump to block trolls on Twitter
- One down: Eric Swalwell expected to end presidential bid
- Raptors' Nurse: Can't blame Kawhi for 'wanting to go home'
- U.S. Seeks to Hold Jeffrey Epstein Without Bail
- Know what will happen if India vs New Zealand match gets abandoned
- Cameron Boyce's Father Breaks Silence On Son's Death
- US adds solid 224000 jobs, making Fed rate cut less certain
- Amy Hart has quit the Love Island villa
- Authorities investigate explosion at Florida shopping plaza
- Bengaluru: Congress and JD(S) try to pacify rebels to save government