According to reports, there are thirteen charges against the 52-year-old, based around child pornography and obstruction of justice.
Kelly has denied all allegations of sexual misconduct. "Kelly will appear in federal court in Brooklyn at a later date".
Newsbeat has contacted representatives for R. Kelly, as well as police in NY and the US Attorney's Office in Chicago. Kelly, whose legal name is Robert Sylvester Kelly, was in high spirit as he awaits his trial, according to Johnson. Also named in the IL indictment are two of Kelly's associates, Derrell McDavid, a manager of Kelly; and Milton "June" Brown, another Kelly employee. Among the crimes Kelly was claimed to have committed involved abusing four women, three of whom were minors at the time of the alleged events.
The New York indictment also alleges he abused five minors but it was not immediately clear they were the same as the ones in the Chicago indictment.
Kelly's attorney, Steve Greenberg, said the federal charges appear to be "largely the same" as state sex assault charges Kelly now faces and child pornography charges for which he was acquitted in 2008.
Kelly was arrested by Homeland Security and NYPD detectives.
Kelly was also arrested back in February on 10 counts in IL involving four women, three of whom were minors when the alleged abuse is said to have taken place.
The star has been facing 10 counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse since February. Kelly pleaded not guilty to the charges. Kelly plead not guilty to these last month. In his statement, Greenberg repeated assertions that he has made previously in connection to the Cook County indictments: namely, that they involve decades-old allegations. The obstruction charges would likely be on different grounds, at least, which suggests that the US Attorney has a different set of charges.
Patrick Smith is a reporter on WBEZ's Criminal Justice desk.
- Favourites? Baxter won't let rival have last Rohr ahead of clash
- Trump says United Kingdom ambassador 'a very stupid guy'
- One down: Eric Swalwell expected to end presidential bid
- Meghan Markle apparently wants her son to have a rescue dog
- 'Friends' Leaving Netflix in 2020, Heading to WarnerMedia's HBO Max Streaming Service
- Trump Fires Off Tweetstorm On How Great He Is
- Trump Hints at Big Move on Census Citizenship Question
- Wall St set to open higher after rally on Powell's dovish remarks
- Wall Street set to open higher on rate cut optimism
- Know what will happen if India vs New Zealand match gets abandoned