The heat starts to spill over into our region Wednesday afternoon as temperatures will warm to around 90 in southern IL, but extremely high humidity will combine for a heat index in the afternoon near 100.
This hot and humid stretch of weather shows signs of relaxing on us by early next week. As the front pulls away to the east, the heat will ride gusty southwest winds into our area.
Meanwhile, the number of days where the heat index exceeds 105 degrees is estimated to increase more than four-fold to 24 by mid-century. Heat indexes will be in the upper 90s, potentially reaching 100 during the afternoon.
A new report from the Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is warning citizens that without swift action to combat climate change, dangerously high temperatures will blanket the United States by the end of the century.
The heat and humidity will be in full display on Wednesday as temperatures climb past the 90 degree mark during the middle of the day.
According to the Weather Service forecast office in Chicago, "The heat is forecast to be oppressive and unsafe everywhere, with possibly some of the hottest conditions since 2012". "Such conditions could pose unprecedented health risks". After that, our high temperatures and heat index values soar.
Under such conditions, it becomes hard for the human body to cool down and recuperate, which can take a cumulative toll over a period of several days.
The heat and humidity will build this over the next few days, as temps crack 90 by Wednesday. Temperatures are going to soar into the 90s with some spots potentially hitting 100 on Saturday. That would go up to 45 days a year by mid-century and 76 by the end of the century without action.
- Fantastic last minute Amazon Prime Day Deals
- Turkey Gets First Shipment Of Russian Missile Defense System
- 40 trapped as building collapses in south Mumbai
- Leclerc fastest and Vettel second as Ferrari set pace
- Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle share sweetest moment together at Wimbledon
- United Nations refugee agency 'deeply concerned' about USA asylum curbs
- Jeffrey Epstein 'abused a woman while on work release' claims lawyer
- Trump to speak to conservatives at social media summit
- Biden Jokingly Challenges Trump to Push-up Challenge
- UK Envoy Said Trump Ditched Iran Deal to Spite Obama