It was his fifth goal at the tournament and pu5s him two ahead of closest rivals Riyad Mahrez, Adam Ounas, Cedric Bakambu and Sadio Mane, who have three goals each.
Nigeria and Tunisia will take the centre stage against this evening for the mandatory classification match for the bronze medal after conceding defeat respectively to their opponents in the semi finals last Sunday.
At the end of the encounter Ekong help Nigeria win the bronze medal at the biennial tournament and was also named the man-of-the-match. The strikers let Tunisia down as they had on 2 shots on target.
After Dylan Bronn's freakish own goal in extra time handed Senegal a 1-0 victory in a drama-filled semi-final, Tunisia were once more the authors of their own downfall. They have made strides both tactically and technically and it's going to be very tight with Senegal but Algeria have all the weapons to win.
Having gone into extra time twice so far, coach Alain Giresse accepts his side might be struggling with fatigue, suggesting Nigeria may have a physical edge on Wednesday.
In the Round of 16, they eliminated Ghana in post-match penalties after a 1-1 draw. "We'll try everything we can to finish third".
Another fan, Gbenga Alamu, said he just had to watch the third-place match because he wanted to see how the team would play. I can not say all our players are fit after playing two extra times but we will do our best.
Aiming to maintain their ideal record in AFCON third-place play-offs, Nigeria were presented with the lead when Tunisia goalkeeper Moez Ben Cherifia and defender Yassine Meriah combined to tee up Ighalo. It was in 1962 against Uganda (3-0).
"No sentiment about whether he is playing his last match of AFCON or last game for the national team".
Ighalo is credited to have score 79% of Nigeria's goals at the 2019 AFCON.
The Nigerian forward also dominates the leading goalscorers' chart with a total of five goals in the tournament.
- This is how to get that filter making everyone look old
- European Union works to save unraveling nuclear agreement with Iran
- Aftermath of deadly Somalia hotel siege
- A Republican immigrant from Jamaica is running against Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
- Huawei plans extensive layoffs at its US operations
- UK Envoy Said Trump Ditched Iran Deal to Spite Obama
- United Nations refugee agency 'deeply concerned' about USA asylum curbs
- TAIKA WAITITI Returns for THOR 4, AKIRA On Hold
- Elon Musk Plans to Start Putting Chips in Human Brains Next Year
- Turkey Gets First Shipment Of Russian Missile Defense System