Lion King earned another $75.5 million over the weekend bringing its total cume to $612 million in the U.S. However, the audience attendance dropped 60 percent over last weekend.
Disney also shattered the previous studio yearly global box office record, with $5.09B sold in overseas ticket sales. With the epic Avengers: Endgame and the nostalgia fuelled, live-action remake of The Lion King on the forefront of this success story; the former becoming the highest-grossing film of all-time at $2.79 billion. Adjusted for inflation the 1994 Lion King is still top dog, but Disney's new version is showing no signs of slowing down-it picked up a whopping $76 million in its second weekend of release. Avengers: Endgame, Captain Marvel, and Aladdin all made a return of more than $1 billion at the worldwide box office. In comparison, Aladdin took more than two months to reach $1 billion at the global box office.
Music lovers everywhere have been rushing to theaters over the past week to hear Beyoncé as the voice of Nala in Disney's live-action remake of The Lion King.
With a slew of notable films waiting to be released this fall and winter, Disney could be set to far surpass its current record.
Director Quentin Tarantino's "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood", which has earned rave reviews, opened in second place with $41.1 million.
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood has an 85 rating on Metacritic and has been largely well-received by critics.
Since officially acquiring Fox's film assets earlier this year, Disney owns over 40% of the domestic marketshare, more than double its closest competitors, Warner Bros. and Universal, each holding roughly 13%.
- Donald Trump Attacks Al Sharpton In Latest Twitter Tantrum
- Capital One suffers major United States data breach
- Defeated Thomas still believes he can win another Tour
- Trump Says He Wants 'a Large Cut' from U.S. Federal Reserve
- A$AP Rocky pleads not guilty in assault case in Sweden
- Bale's move to China blocked by Real Madrid
- Oppo shows off new edgeless "waterfall screen"
- Google confirms Face Unlock and Soli gestures for the Pixel 4
- USA government orders first federal executions since 2003
- Portuguese Star To Join Manchester United After Super Cup