Lion King earned another $75.5 million over the weekend bringing its total cume to $612 million in the U.S. However, the audience attendance dropped 60 percent over last weekend.
Disney also shattered the previous studio yearly global box office record, with $5.09B sold in overseas ticket sales. With the epic Avengers: Endgame and the nostalgia fuelled, live-action remake of The Lion King on the forefront of this success story; the former becoming the highest-grossing film of all-time at $2.79 billion. Adjusted for inflation the 1994 Lion King is still top dog, but Disney's new version is showing no signs of slowing down-it picked up a whopping $76 million in its second weekend of release. Avengers: Endgame, Captain Marvel, and Aladdin all made a return of more than $1 billion at the worldwide box office. In comparison, Aladdin took more than two months to reach $1 billion at the global box office.
Music lovers everywhere have been rushing to theaters over the past week to hear Beyoncé as the voice of Nala in Disney's live-action remake of The Lion King.
With a slew of notable films waiting to be released this fall and winter, Disney could be set to far surpass its current record.
Director Quentin Tarantino's "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood", which has earned rave reviews, opened in second place with $41.1 million.
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood has an 85 rating on Metacritic and has been largely well-received by critics.
Since officially acquiring Fox's film assets earlier this year, Disney owns over 40% of the domestic marketshare, more than double its closest competitors, Warner Bros. and Universal, each holding roughly 13%.
- Apple is acquiring majority of Intel's smartphone modem business
- What is Apple Card and Daily Cash?
- Australian swimmer Shayna Jack’s diet may hold answers to banned substance detection
- Trump Labels Elijah Cummings 'Racist'
- Rays to acquire Eric Sogard from Blue Jays
- Capital One reports massive data breach
- Tyson Fury 'snubs' brother Tommy Fury in Love Island villa
- Fact check: No, African Americans are not happy with Trump
- Bugha Wins Fortnite World Cup Solo Finals
- Google Just Spilled Some More Details on the Pixel 4