A long-period swell from Erick is due tonight along exposed southeast and eastern exposures of the Big Island.
Flossie is now a tropical storm poised well east of Hawaii, about 1,500 miles east of Hilo as of Thursday morning.
"I am encouraged by the recent reports of the weakening of Hurricane Erick", Victorino said.
Hurricane Erick will continue to slowly weaken over the next few days and is expected to become a tropical storm as it moves south of Hawaii by the end of the week.
"Impacts such as higher surf, strong winds or heavy rainfall are possible even with this tropical system passing south of the Big Island", the National Weather Service in Honolulu told USA Today. Meteorologists see a higher chance of gale-force winds from the storm on the Big Island later this week. Surf of 15-20 feet is expected through Thursday, Brink said. No islands are included in this Tropical Storm Warning, so far, the National Weather Service says.
"Extended range model projections show Flossie moving into the local area by next week Monday or Tuesday", the National Weather Service in Honolulu said this morning.
Parts of Maui County and the Big Island are under a high wind advisory.
"Maximum sustained winds have increased to near 75 miles per hour (120 km/h) with higher gusts".
As of 5 p.m. Wednesday, Erick was a Category 2 hurricane with maximum sustained winds of 105 miles per hour and moving west at 14 miles per hour, the Central Pacific Hurricane Center reported. The Category 1 storm had maximum sustained winds of 80 miles per hour.
"The cyclone is expected to be in generally favorable environmental conditions to strengthen during the next day or so", the hurricane center in Miami said Tuesday.
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Apple Tops Earnings Expectations And Raises Revenue Forecast
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Most active Western Conference teams this offseason
- England seek a double as Australia eye Ashes history
- Virat Kohli clarifies on rift with Rohit Sharma
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- Pepe at Arsenal to complete medical
- Bale's move to China blocked by Real Madrid
- Portuguese Star To Join Manchester United After Super Cup