The 29-year-old appeared to fall completely out of favour nearly as soon as he joined the club back in 2017, and was restricted to just one appearance last season under Maurizio Sarri - who openly admitted he was not going to play the former Leicester star.
During the 2018/19 campaign, the 29-year-old would feature just once all season.
The players that Lampard has fit and available have been able to train with him in the build up to the season and as a result have a better understanding of his system and ideas than those now on the injury table. "We'll do our best to get him back".
The switch to Premier League football, however, did not pan out as he would have hoped for, with Bakayoko flitting in and out of the side all season long.
The summer exit of star playmaker Eden Hazard to Real Madrid and an ongoing transfer ban leaves the inexperienced Lampard up against it, especially as he looks set to use gifted but raw youngsters Callum Hudson-Odoi, Tammy Abraham and Mason Mount to spearhead his reign.
The club are now banned from making signings for two transfer windows, and also begin life without Eden Hazard following the Belgium midfielder's move to Real Madrid in the summer. The Blues are ready to offload the French midfielder, who did not find a taker in AC Milan.
As Pre-season ended with a two-all draw against Borussia Monchengladbach, we provide some of the answers that have been revealed in Lampard's era.
But he is backing Manchester United to finish in a Champions League position.
- Everything’s in balance after Man City beats Liverpool to Community Shield Gold
- Donald Trump invited Mohammad Zarif to U.S
- Nick Kyrgios WINS the Citi Open in Washington after beating Daniil Medvedev
- Iran's president warns war with Tehran would be 'mother of all wars'
- TESS spots closest super-Earth that could be habitable
- Murder suspects in cross-country police chase could be heading towards Highway 17
- India says it will end decades-long autonomy for Kashmir
- Dwayne Johnson’s Fast & Furious Contract Says He Can’t Lose Any Fights
- No basis for 'meaningful' UK Brexit talks — European Union officials
- China reiterates support for Hong Kong's embattled leader