After the government's move to revoke Article 370, the big worry now is that street protests could erupt in the Valley triggering a fresh wave of unrest against the decision even though there is huge deployment of security forces across J&K. "When we ask officials, they say something is happening, but nobody knows what is actually happening".
All means of communications have been snapped in Jammu and Kashmir, more journalists confirmed on social media. Those who attended the meeting included the national security advisor Ajit Doval and Union home secretary Rajiv Gauba, among others. "That modification, abrogation of Articles 35A and 370, unconstitutional delimitation or trifurcation of the state would be an aggression against the people of Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh", Farooq Abdullah said. No way of knowing if this is true but if it is then I'll see all of you on the other side of whatever is in store, "National Conference leader Abdullah tweeted". The final word on J&K is the Government of India.
Former Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Mehbooba Mufti said India "has chosen territory over people", and "seems to be preparing to rob them (Kashmiris) of whatever little is left to protect their unique identity". The government issued a security order banning public meetings, rallies and movement and said schools would be closed.
Senior Congress leader P. Chidambaram on Monday criticised the Narendra Modi-led government for the house arrest of senior political leaders in Jammu and Kashmir, saying that it was a signal that the government will defy all democratic norms to achieve its objects.
Looking at the gravity of the situation, J&K issued a security advisory which states, the Amarnath pilgrims and the tourists "may curtail their stay in the Valley immediately and take necessary measures to return as soon as possible".
Sources said she told the elder Abdullah that this was a crucial time for the mainstream political parties and they needed to sink their differences for "protection of state's special status".
Section 144 under the Code of Criminal Procedure has been imposed in Srinagar from midnight, while the same will be under effect in Jammu from 6 am today. Mufti travelled to three districts of south Kashmir - Kulgam, Shopian and Pulwama - and held meetings with PDP activists to promote awareness about Article 35A.
- Trump Floats Tying Immigration, 'Strong' Background Check Legislation Together
- Samsung's Galaxy Watch Active 2 brings ECG tracking and LTE connectivity
- Kim supervised test-firing of rockets, claims N. Korea
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Leak: An Automatic Sniper Rifle Will Be Coming to Fortnite Battle Royale
- No basis for 'meaningful' UK Brexit talks — European Union officials
- China's Yuan Tumbles Past 7 Per Dollar for First Time Since 2008
- Meghan gets 38th birthday tributes from Harry, William and Kate Middleton
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Smith holds up England as test in balance