With rains predicted to worsen in coming days, the government ordered military teams to form rescue units and airlift food to stranded villages across Kerala. Flight operations from the worldwide airport at Kochi resumed on Sunday afternoon, two days after it was shut due to inundation of the runway area following heavy rains. The death toll in the state has gone up to 19.
Indian Navy officials informed on Sunday that at least 12 emergency response teams have been rushed for help to Sangli district alone in Maharashtra. "Some people were spreading news that there will be power cuts or shortage of petrol and all that", Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan said.
In the southern state of Kerala, 57 people died, according to the state government.
The Press Trust of India (PTI) news agency quoted officials as saying that 42 people have died in Kerala since Thursday.
At least nine bodies have been recovered so far in the landslide that occurred at Kavalappara, Nilambur in Malappuram district on August 8. "This gives us confidence to overcome this situation", Vijayan said.He also shared that 1,08,138 persons from 29,997 families are in camps.
The death toll from floods in the Indian states of Karnataka, Kerala and Maharashtra rose to 147, state authorities said on Sunday, as rescue teams raced to evacuate people and waters submerged parts of a world heritage site.
A red alert, or severe rainfall and bad weather conditions forecast, has been issued for seven out of 14 districts in the state, the Kerala State Disaster Management control room told Reuters on Saturday.
Former Chief Minister and JD (S) leader HD Kumaraswamy also visited several flood-hit districts in the state, including Kodagu, a district that had seen devastating floods previous year. "The dam gates will be opened today at 3 pm", said Vijayan. Kolhapur collector office said legal action will be taken against those who are selling products/commodities in increased price, taking advantage of floods in the city. "People are evaluated from there", he said. He warned people against travelling on the Mumbai-Bengaluru national highway.
- Defoe strengthens Euros case
- At least 50 killed in gas tank explosion in Tanzania
- Death toll from India floods rises to 95, hundreds of thousands evacuated
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Frank Lampard reveals conversations with David Luiz
- China copper imports rebound, concentrate shipments hit record
- Reporters Leave Out Trump’s Condemnation of Neo-Nazis in Stories About Biden Confrontation
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- National Conference moves SC against Centre’s decision to scrap Article 370
- Kylie Jenner just boarded her private plane holding a wedding dress