Shanghai Disneyland was also closed for the first time since the amusement park opened in 2016.
The National Meteorological Centre warned that 24-hour rainfall levels across eastern China could reach around 250-320 millimetres from Friday afternoon to Saturday afternoon.
"Lekima is like a horse with an extremely fierce temper. River flooding could last for days after the rain ends as water slowly drains to the ocean". "Sustained downpours pushed a lot of rivers to very risky levels", Luo Yuezhen, a top meteorologist with the Zhejiang weather service center, told Xinhua. The landslide took place in the municipality of Wenzhou, in Zhejiang province, when a natural dam broke.
Footage broadcast on CCTV showed a torrent of muddy water surging through the streets and emergency workers rescuing a man trapped under rubble and fallen trees. A rescue operation is underway, authorities said. The typhoon packed winds over 116 miles per hour that downed trees, caused power outages, and damaged buildings, reports said.
The central government has offered financial support worth 30 million yuan (about 4.25 million USA dollars) for relief work in Zhejiang Province after typhoon Lekima made landfall at the provincial coast early Saturday, the finance ministry said Saturday.
In Linhai City alone, losses amounted to around 2.1 billion yuan, which included 183 collapsed houses and more than 600 damaged roads.
The waves beating against the bank in Qingdao, east China's Shandong Province on August 11, 2019. Scott Hsieh, a senior meteorologist at the bureau, said it was the strongest typhoon in the western Pacific so far this year. A total of 47 flights have been suspended.
Chinese authorities issued a red alert on Friday as the typhoon, which was then classified as a "super typhoon", bore down on Zhejiang province. In Qingdao, 127 trains and all long-distance bus service have been suspended.
- Apple Provides Special iPhone for Security Researchers and Extends Bug Bounty Program
- Raiders Hard Knocks: Winners and Losers from Episode 1
- United States billionaire Jeffrey Epstein kills self in jail
- Tottenham favourites to sign Philippe Coutinho from Barcelona
- Kieran Tierney to Arsenal — Twitter Reacts
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Reporters Leave Out Trump’s Condemnation of Neo-Nazis in Stories About Biden Confrontation
- Ninja drums up over a million subscribers during first week at Mixer
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester