The meteors are caused by debris left in the wake of Comet Swift-Tuttle.
The Perseid meteor shower will peak tonight in the sky over the United Kingdom, with scores of brilliant shooting stars potentially illuminating the gloom every minute. The Perseids showcase more bright meteors than any other annual meteor shower. "Using either reduces the amount of sky you can see at one time, lowering the odds that you'll see anything but darkness", NASA officials wrote in a meteor shower guide. This will continue until the early hours of the morning.
"A very bright moon washes out a lot of light", said Goetz. Meteor showers are a great opportunity for time-lapse videos and long-exposure photography, allowing your shots of the night sky to turn into van Gogh-like paintings of this starry spectacle.
"On the night of the peak (August 12-13) you will only have a scant few minutes of dark sky between moon set and twilight - not much time to see Perseids", said the space agency, in its blog post.
From around midnight tonight, an incredible display of meteors will light up the skies over Britain (weather permitting, of course).
The Draconid meteor shower is the next meteor shower to mark on your calendar, which falls on October 8, followed by the Orionid meteor shower, which will take place on October 21. If you trace back all of the meteors during the upcoming shower, they will all originate from a part of the sky near the constellation Perseus.
- Kylie Jenner just boarded her private plane holding a wedding dress
- Amit Shah carries out aerial survey in Karnataka, Maharashtra
- Kieran Tierney to Arsenal — Twitter Reacts
- Russia says five killed in mysterious rocket test accident
- Samsung claims industry's first 108Mp image sensor for smartphones
- Hong Kong police fire tear gas as protesters defy ban
- National Conference moves SC against Centre’s decision to scrap Article 370
- Romelu Lukaku bangs in four goals on Inter Milan debut
- Frank Lampard reveals conversations with David Luiz
- Norway mosque suspect rejects murder allegation