Coutinho had struggled to endear himself to the Barcelona faithful following his £145million move to the Nou Camp in January 2018, and he will be allowed to leave if a suitable party can be found.
So if United manage to seal his signature, it is thought that Spurs will swoop for Coutinho on loan, with an option to buy.
They also still maintain an interest in Sporting Lisbon midfielder Bruno Fernandes, but have not yet reached an agreement with the Portuguese giants for his signature.
Former club Liverpool though have distanced themselves from bringing Coutinho back to Anfield and he is not considered a priority by United or Arsenal who are concentrating on adding a centre-back, notably Dayot Upamecano from Red Bull Leipzig, and Celtic left-back Kieran Tierney.
Sky Sports had reported that Sours boss Mauricio Pochettino had phoned Coutinho in a bid to persuade him to move to North London, having previously worked together at Espanyol.
It's stressed that a move to either club will depend on what happens with Christian Eriksen, who has been linked with a move away from Tottenham throughout the summer and is now believed to be on United's transfer radar. Such is the contrast in reports, it's hard to tell what either Coutinho or Barcelona want to do this summer with regards to his future.
"Until the last day of the transfer market we will not know if he stays or not".
He wrote himself into club folklore last season with his second-half hat-trick against Ajax in the Champions League to drag Spurs into their first final in dramatic fashion.
"The arrival of players like Frenkie de Jong and Antoine Griezmann will certainly help us in all competitions", Pique said.
- Bianca Andreescu reaches Rogers Cup final
- Inter Milan back with improved offer for Romelu Lukaku
- Kieran Tierney to Arsenal — Twitter Reacts
- China copper imports rebound, concentrate shipments hit record
- Documents: Epstein ducked sex abuse questions in deposition
- Typhoon Lekima Kills At Least 22 In China
- Amit Shah carries out aerial survey in Karnataka, Maharashtra
- Turkey, US agree to set up Syria safe zone operation centre
- Death toll from India floods rises to 95, hundreds of thousands evacuated
- Norway mosque suspect rejects murder allegation