Nora Quoirin, 15, Found Dead by a Waterfall: Malaysian Police

Wednesday, 14 Aug, 2019

Malaysian police on Tuesday said they were certain they had found the body of an Irish teenager who went missing from a jungle resort in the Southeast Asian country 10 days ago, but were waiting for her family to make the final identification.

Nora Quoirin's parents have identified her dead body after it was found near a waterfall in the Malaysian jungle, Malaysian police have confirmed.

District police chief Mohamad Nor Marzukee Besar said rescuers scoured areas surrounding the resort until 3 a.m. Tuesday but found no clues. The resort contains six houses, each surrounded by rainforest, and has a capacity for just 20 guests.

He added that the body "was not in any clothings" and said while it remained a missing persons case police were looking into all possibilities including the "angle of criminal investigation".

Matthew Searle, chief executive of the Lucie Blackman Trust, said the timeline of repatriating her body would depend on whether extensive forensics needed to be carried out.

Her family believes she was abducted, because she would not have wandered off on her own.

A poster of a missing British girl Nora Anne Quoirin is seen in Seremban, Malaysia on Saturday.

Almost 350 people were involved in the massive search operation that included sniffer dogs, elite commando forces and thermal detectors.

Aside from Royal Malaysia Police units, the SAR team comprises personnel from the Fire and Rescue Department, Civil Defence Force, People's Volunteer Corps (RELA) and Forestry Department, as well as Sapura and local residents.

"Sabina and I offer our deepest condolences to Nóra's parents, Meabh and Sebastien, to Nóra's siblings and to her extended family", President Higgins said.

The 15-year-old girl reportedly has a condition called holoprosencephaly, causing her to have mental and physical disabilities, according to her parents.

The report claims that the body was discovered on the tenth day of SAR operations (13th August).

In a statement, France's Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs said French police remain "at the disposal of the Malaysian authorities so that light can be shed on the circumstances of her death".