The character is viewed as the less competent brother seeking his father's approval.
Meanwhile, Cuomo issued the following on Twitter earlier today.
The other side of this wild coin is that people are mad because Donald Trump Jr. has been called "Fredo", but ... yeah, it checks out.
"Guys, I'm Italian. "Fredo" is not an ethnic slur", wrote Emily Zanotti, an editor at the conservative outlet the Daily Wire.
"The truth hurts", Trump added.
Caution: Tweets and video contain expletives.
Here's what you need to know. Cuomo just doesn't like that he called him the stupid brother who unwittingly betrayed his family.
"You're a much more reasonable guy in person than you seem to be on television", the man replied, seeming to dodge the subject.
The video begins after their conversation has started; the full exchange has not been released. Think again! Being called "Fredo" is annoying and rude, but it does not even come close to being called the N-word so Cuomo, you're righteous in your anger, but so very wrong about what being called Fredo actually means.
"No, punk-ass b-es from the right call me "Fredo.' My name is Chris Cuomo".
The president then paraphrased his earlier assertions, saying "I don't know why anybody would defend him, but, Chris Cuomo was out of control, I watched it I thought it was bad". He was the weak brother. "Fredo is from 'The Godfather.' He was a weak brother and they use it as an Italian aspersion".
On Monday night CNN stood by the anchor.
Sliwa said he dubbed the Cuomo family "la Cuomo Nostra". Are you Italian? It's a f*cking insult to your people.
Several Trump campaign officials jumped on Cuomo for making the comparison between "Fredo" and the n-word. That truth was beyond proven overnight when a video made the rounds online showing the CNN anchor in an angry public rage while confronting a group of men.
The man then shies away, saying he wasn't insulting him and that he didn't call him Fredo, he thought that was his name. "I'll f*cking throw you down the stairs like a f*cking punk", Cuomo says with his temper flaring.
They get in each other's face for another minute, just about to fight.
But when the man shot back, "Why don't you do it then?"
"I'll [expletive] ruin your [expletive]", Cuomo tells him.
- Nora Quoirin, 15, Found Dead by a Waterfall: Malaysian Police
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War
- Norway mosque suspect rejects murder allegation
- Romelu Lukaku bangs in four goals on Inter Milan debut
- Perseid meteor shower set to peak: What you need to know
- Hong Kong airport cancels all departing flights as protesters occupy terminals
- DSLR cameras could be at risk from ransomware
- Amit Shah carries out aerial survey in Karnataka, Maharashtra
- Sydney incident: Man arrested over stabbing in city centre
- Best times to watch the 2019 Perseid meteor shower