Benson played for the Longhorns from 2001 to '04, rushing for a total of 5,540 yards - ranked ninth in NCAA history. In eight National Football League seasons, he rushed for 6,017 yards and 32 TDs on 1,600 carries (3.8 yards per carry). He last played with the Packers in 2012.
In 2009, he rushed for a career-high 1,251 yards and six touchdowns, including a 189-yard rushing performance against the Bears in Week 7. It was way too soon.
Benson had the impossibility of being billed as the next Ricky Williams at Texas, and he was just about as good as the Heisman victor.
"He was as good as you'll ever see as a football player and as tough as they come", said Brown, who recently returned to coach North Carolina following a long run at Texas. Brown is now the head coach back where he was before he joined the Longhorns, in Chapel Hill with the North Carolina Tar Heels football program.
His brother Dominic posted an emotional and grief-stricken status on Facebook, saying "my brother gone." in the comments of his post.
Former Bears running back Cedric Benson has passed away. In his senior year, he won the 2004 Doak Walker Award and, along with quarterback Vince Young, led the Longhorns to victory in the Rose Bowl over the Michigan Wolverines. He will be sorely missed by family, friends, and fans alike.
- OnePlus reveals the name of its upcoming Android TV
- Coroner rules that Jeffrey Epstein hanged himself
- China vows immediate retaliation if United States proceeds with new tariffs
- Should You Care About The Yield Curve Inversion?
- #HappyBirthdaySon: Indians mock Pakistan on Independence Day
- Major Security Breach Hits Microsoft Windows
- North Korea fires projectiles, rejects South Korea's 'senseless' dialogue pledge
- Trump Urges China's Xi to Meet Hong Kong Protesters
- Founder's grip on WeWork may be hard for investors to stomach
- Priyanka Chopra Gets Heated Over Accusations of Hypocrisy