"They offered again and I said, 'Oh man, wouldn't that be crazy?' And I was like, 'Crazy".
Bergeron indicated he had eaten lunch with Andrew Llinares, the new executive producer of the show, and was "convinced we were in agreement". As we reported earlier, Tom Bergeron made it abundantly clear he was hoping this season would be a respite from politics and avoid any divisive guests of any political stripe.
Producers apparently disagreed. "We can agree to disagree, as we do now, but ultimately it's their call", Bergeron wrote. He tweeted that it was "time to have some fun". Side-by-side photos showed a larger gathering for former President Barack Obama, but Spicer declared, "This was the largest audience to ever witness an inauguration, period".
Rumors of his potential future on Dancing with the Stars have been swirling for years, but he reportedly turned down the opportunity to appear on Season 25.
Dancing with the Stars has cast disgraced politicians and political commentators before.
But it was the casting of Spicer that compelled Tom Bergeron, the show's genial host since its debut in 2005, to speak out and publicly distance himself from the decision.
He resigned as press secretary in July that year.
Spicer is not the only Irish American on this year's show, however, with the cast also featuring actress Kate Flannery, best known for her role as Meredith in The Office.
"Dancing With The Stars" will begin Season 28 on Monday, Sept. 16, at 8 p.m. EST on ABC.
Spicer said he's not much of a dancer, comparing his moves to a "steam roller" and he said his strategy is to "work really, really, really hard".
However, we do know which pros will be featured in the new season.
- Stipe Miocic Knocks Out Daniel Cormier at UFC 241
- Pritzker backs Planned Parenthood in pulling out of federal Title X program
- Buying interest: Belongs to Greenland soon, US President Trump? View
- Hong Kong March Was Peaceful 'Because Police Didn't Attack': Protesters
- Elton John defends Harry and Meghan's use of private jets
- Liam Hemsworth has filed for divorce from Miley Cyrus
- ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ Releasing an Extended Cut for Labor Day
- Sydney activists back Hong Kong protesters
- Huawei's 90-day reprieve expires today, so what now?
- PBA head slams commissioner's decision; lawyer vows to fight Pantaleo firing