More details emerged for further Marvel superhero shows What If.? - an animated series imagining different outcomes for each of the 23 Marvel films to date - and WandaVision, which was intriguingly described as a "half classic sitcom, half full [Marvel Cinematic Universe] spectacular" inspired by Dick Van Dyke.
McGregor played the wise wizard across two more films (2002's Attack of the Clones and 2005's Revenge of the Sith), plus had a voice cameo in 2015's The Force Awakens.
Jon Favreau says the Star Wars series is set after the events Return of the Jedi, following the fall of the Empire, and "chaos rages" once the celebrating is over because there is no longer empirical control.
That second live-action Star Wars series is scheduled to arrive on Disney+ in 2021, indicating that the third series - the unnamed one with McGregor - may launch in 2022 or later, though that hasn't been confirmed.
McGregor made a surprise appearance at the end of the panel at the D23 Expo on Friday here to make the announcement with Kathleen Kennedy, President at Lucasfilm.
Obi-Wan Kenobi was played by Ewan McGregor in the Star Wars prequels.
The Disney+ service - pronounced "Disney Plus" - will also be a home for new family friendly mid-budget films of the type for which the studio was renowned in the Sixties and Seventies, but which dropped off their agenda in recent years as they focused on blockbuster franchises. He even appeared in "Star Wars Rebels", where he is confronted by Darth Maul one last time on Tatooine.
Western tones lead as gunfighters and bounty hunters roam wild, while people fight for their survival in an uncertain world.
The trailer features Stormtrooper helmets on spikes, a figure frozen in Carbonite, Death Troopers and more. Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars), Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), and Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates) have all been attached to direct the various episodes. If it begins filming next year, it could arrive on Disney+ in 2021 or 2022.
- Manchester United Trying To Make More Money Out Of Alexis Sanchez's Departure
- David Koch, billionaire and conservative activist, dead at 79
- Trump Doubles Down on Calling Jews Who Vote for Democrats "Disloyal"
- Christie Brinkley, Sean Spicer make 'Dancing with the Stars'
- Steve Smith ruled out of third Ashes Test
- Questions on Prince Andrew ‘and three flights with Jeffrey Epstein’
- Devastating images show indigenous Amazon tribe's home wrecked by fire
- Ming-Na Wen Joins Star Wars' The Mandalorian
- Taylor Swift to re-record old masters to spite Scooter Braun
- Korea launches short-range missiles again, complicating USA attempts for talks