"There's no doubt when you hear him talk about the cycle of pain and injury and rehab, you can hear that", coach Frank Reich said.
'This is not an easy decision.
Luck appeared overcome with emotion as he read prepared remarks, visibly bearing the weight of both his words and his decision, which he called the hardest of his life.
However Luck said he had no doubt he had made the right decision.
He described a four-year cycle of pain, between injury and rehab, from which his only escape was retirement.
"I've been stuck in this process". It's taken my joy of this game away and ...
Luck numerous times brought up the fact that he had vowed to himself he would never go through a long, uncertain injury recovery again, as he did from 2016-18. "I mean, this is an unusual situation".
It will be interesting to see what roster moves the Colts make moving forward and if Kaepernick is finally able to find a landing spot. "I love this team". In 2014, he threw for 4,761 yards and 40 touchdowns in leading the Colts to an 11-5 record and a berth in the AFC Championship Game.
"I know I am unable to pour my heart and soul into this position", he said.
"Teams win, don't write the end of the story yet", Colts general manager Chris Ballard said. "And it's sad. But I also have a lot of clarity in this". Brissett started 15 of Indianapolis' 16 games in 2017, completing 59 percent of his passes at an average of 6.6 yards per attempt, while throwing for 13 touchdowns and 7 interceptions. He missed the 2017 season because of a shoulder injury, but then returned to Pro Bowl form past year while leading Indianapolis to the playoffs. The string of injuries, he said, had simply become too much.
He had the first takeaway of his National Football League career in the Bears first preseason game against the Carolina Panthers, and he followed that up with his first pick-six in Indianapolis.
That response was also condemned by fellow National Football League players and many online, who felt Luck deserved far more sympathy given his injury plight. He has, however, netted nearly $100 million during his time with the Colts.
Below is Luck's full press conference from Saturday night, when he explained his retirement and fielded questions about the timing.
- Colts will not recoup any money they are owed from Andrew Luck
- Spider-Man Is Leaving The Marvel Cinematic Universe
- David Koch, billionaire and conservative activist, dead at 79
- Real Madrid growing increasingly confident of beating Barcelona to Neymar
- Devastating images show indigenous Amazon tribe's home wrecked by fire
- Ming-Na Wen Joins Star Wars' The Mandalorian
- Trump Orders U.S. Companies to Look for Alternatives to China
- Disney Announces Obi-Wan Kenobi Star Wars Series with Ewan McGregor
- Trump Doubles Down on Calling Jews Who Vote for Democrats "Disloyal"
- A new format for FedEx Cup brings clarity and curiosity