"There's no doubt when you hear him talk about the cycle of pain and injury and rehab, you can hear that", coach Frank Reich said.
'This is not an easy decision.
Luck appeared overcome with emotion as he read prepared remarks, visibly bearing the weight of both his words and his decision, which he called the hardest of his life.
However Luck said he had no doubt he had made the right decision.
He described a four-year cycle of pain, between injury and rehab, from which his only escape was retirement.
"I've been stuck in this process". It's taken my joy of this game away and ...
Luck numerous times brought up the fact that he had vowed to himself he would never go through a long, uncertain injury recovery again, as he did from 2016-18. "I mean, this is an unusual situation".
It will be interesting to see what roster moves the Colts make moving forward and if Kaepernick is finally able to find a landing spot. "I love this team". In 2014, he threw for 4,761 yards and 40 touchdowns in leading the Colts to an 11-5 record and a berth in the AFC Championship Game.
"I know I am unable to pour my heart and soul into this position", he said.
"Teams win, don't write the end of the story yet", Colts general manager Chris Ballard said. "And it's sad. But I also have a lot of clarity in this". Brissett started 15 of Indianapolis' 16 games in 2017, completing 59 percent of his passes at an average of 6.6 yards per attempt, while throwing for 13 touchdowns and 7 interceptions. He missed the 2017 season because of a shoulder injury, but then returned to Pro Bowl form past year while leading Indianapolis to the playoffs. The string of injuries, he said, had simply become too much.
He had the first takeaway of his National Football League career in the Bears first preseason game against the Carolina Panthers, and he followed that up with his first pick-six in Indianapolis.
That response was also condemned by fellow National Football League players and many online, who felt Luck deserved far more sympathy given his injury plight. He has, however, netted nearly $100 million during his time with the Colts.
Below is Luck's full press conference from Saturday night, when he explained his retirement and fielded questions about the timing.
- Korea launches short-range missiles again, complicating USA attempts for talks
- Rory McIlroy wins $23.5 million prize in PGA Tour playoffs
- Trump denies China trade war causing friction at G7
- More details on the new iPad Pro tablets revealed
- British Consulate Simon Cheng Man-kit worker freed in China
- Colts will not recoup any money they are owed from Andrew Luck
- U.S. commandant concerned over South Korea-Japan trade dispute
- Steve Smith ruled out of third Ashes Test
- China warns USA to stop wrong trade actions or face consequences
- China hits out at 'bullying' U.S. over new tariffs