She quickly became a fixture in Trump's inner circle, serving as personal assistant and gatekeeper for the president. "She called me yesterday to apologize, had a bad night".
"She's a wonderful person and she studies hard", Trump told reporters, according to The Sun. He adds: "I love Tiffany".
The White House did not comment on the departure late Thursday, and Westerhout did not immediately reply to a request for comment.
US President Donald Trump, first lady Melania Trump, their son Barron and her mother Amalija Knavs in Washington June 30, 2018. Trump, who praised Westerhout as "a good person", did not specify what information Westerhout divulged about his family.
Westerhout's comments reportedly came during an off-the-record dinner with journalists and White House staffers.
Her attorney said she was unable to because she couldn't get access to records she left at the White House, which were seized after she was sacked. She had been his personal assistant from the beginning of his presidency.
Often referred to by United States media as the gatekeeper to the President, Ms Westerhout was initially viewed with distrust by Mr Trump, according to the Times.
"She was a spy from day one who sought to use her proximity to the president to curry favor with his detractors", a former official told CBS.
Westerhout's office was in front of the Oval Office and she had been described as Trump's "gatekeeper" in USA media.
A former contestant on "The Apprentice", Manigault Newman worked on both Trump's 2016 election campaign and in the White House.
"Madeleine is the key", Trump said.
She also often shared snapshots on her private Instagram account of her life in the West Wing, including travel to rallies and Trump properties, and in one post she joked that she had been responsible for printing out a piece of paper that Trump held up and referred to at a public event.
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- Nadal Prevents Another Millman Upset At US Open
- Hurricane Dorian: ‘Extremely dangerous’ Category 4 storm heads towards Florida
- Texans trading Clowney to Seahawks
- Dorian is now a hurricane
- European Union insists Iran nuclear deal must be part of any future pact
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Hong Kong protests: All the latest updates
- New Video Shows the Updated Border Wall is Working