Hubert raced for the British-owned Arden team, founded and run by Garry Horner, the father of Red Bull team boss, Christian Horner. His vehicle flew off the tire wall and slid across the circuit before he was hit by Correa's auto. Correa is recovering in a Liege hospital from his injuries.
The event was abandoned after the crash, which left debris from the cars strewn across the track. Medics rushed to reach them on the famed 7-kilometre (4.3-mile) tree-lined track located in the Ardennes forest of Belgium.
"The scene was immediately attended by emergency and medical crews, and all drivers were taken to the medical centre".
Hubert had been a member of Renault's young driver programme and raced for BMT Arden in F2.
The Mercedes man hears gasps from those watching the F2 race, prompting him to look up at a screen showing the race.
The racing community quickly expressed its sadness at the accident.
Thoughts are with Hubert's family at this incredibly hard time.
"This is devastating. God rest your soul Anthoine".
"I certainly questioned it last night, but having a sleep and then seeing some of his family here today, that is what gave me more strength than anything else", Ricciardo continued.
Hubert was involved in a huge accident early on in the feature race supporting the Belgian Grand Prix, and the FIA announced he had died shortly after from injuries sustained in the crash. The Frenchman was also a reigning F3 champion, and considered by many to be a rising star in the profession.
Hubert, who won the Formula 3 championship past year, was part of the Renault Formula One team's junior driver academy, ESPN reported.
Driving for the BWT-Arden team, Hubert was a two-time victor this season and ranked eighth in the F2 championship standings. He is in stable condition, according to FIA officials.
The series second race of the weekend is scheduled for Sunday ahead of the Belgian Formula One Grand Prix.
Hubert, who won the GP3 championship a year ago, was also part of the Renault Sport Academy and had a great admiration for Prost.
- Rahkeem Cornwall delighted to claim Pujara as first Test victim
- Trump Campaign Aide Hits Biden For Conflating War Hero Stories
- Coach Klopp plans one-year break after Liverpool stint
- Corbyn backs nationwide protests against parliament shutdown
- Hong Kong protests: All the latest updates
- New Video Shows the Updated Border Wall is Working
- Fans expected to mark anniversary of Diana's death
- Leclerc dedicates maiden F1 win to tragic Hubert
- Hong Kong Democracy Activist Joshua Wong Granted Bail After Arrest
- Tips for airline travel ahead of Hurricane Dorian