Hong Kong protesters target airport but planes are running

Monday, 02 Sep, 2019

Passengers entered and left the terminal freely and planes were taking off and landing but trains were suspended and approach roads to the airport impassable as protesters erected barricades and overturned trolleys at the airport and in the nearby new town of Tung Chung.

Police put blue dye in water cannons, meant to stain protesters and mark them out for arrest later.

However it is unclear if all those injured and arrested in the metro system were involved in demonstrations.

In a first for Hong Kong, police water cannon trucks aimed dyed water at protesters near government headquarters in an effort to potentially identify them at a later date.

Protesters built a fire on the road in front of Sogo department store.

Earlier on Saturday, protesters throwing petrol bombs and setting fires had been quickly met with tear gas, rubber bullets and a water cannon - a suggestion that Hong Kong police's patience is waning after a long summer of conflict.

Several prominent activists were arrested on Friday ahead of Saturday's protests, although two were subsequently released on bail. Hong Kong has lengthy had a sophisticated relationship with the United Kingdom, although many have lengthy attributed a sturdy capitalist system and powerful rule of regulation to the British.

It soon broadened into calls for democracy amid fears China is squeezing Hong Kong's freedoms.

At 1:30pm on Sunday, MTR Corp announced that the Airport Express train from Hong Kong station to the AsiaWord-Expo station would be suspended at the request of the Airport Authority and the Hong Kong government.

Stranded travelers were forced to abandon their vehicles and drag their luggage along the airport road.

In a statement early Sunday morning, police said some protesters had "hurled miscellaneous objects and iron railings into MTR railroad and committed arson inside MTR station, completely disregarding the safety of other passengers".

This in turn served as a pretext for one of Saturday's most dramatic moments of violence: a chaotic scene where police chased protesters into metro stations, beating people with batons and carrying out arrests. This comes as one of the main, anonymous forums used by activists was hit this weekend with a cyberattack that interrupted service for several hours.

The police's use of force has taken centre stage among the protesters' anger and demands. "I think it is our moral obligation as Canadians to speak out for them". It was not clear when these stations will reopen.

What else happened on Saturday?

Many carried umbrellas and wore face masks.

Demonstrators - chanting "stand with Hong Kong" and "fight for freedom" - gathered outside government offices, the local headquarters of China's People's Liberation Army and the city's parliament, known as the Legislative Council. A few front-line protesters remained, occasionally hurling gasoline bombs at the officers in formation and apparently waiting for orders to advance.

By the time police arrived in the town, nearly all protesters had left, taking the last trains out or boarding buses to other parts of the city.

At around 9:30pm, police made arrests on Great George Street outside the Windsor House shopping mall.

"A large group of protesters participated in unlawful assembly in various districts since yesterday, despite police's objection and warning", the police said in a statement.

"Peaceful protest doesn't work", 22-year-old demonstrator Stone told AFP, giving one name. I feel it's my duty to fight for democracy.

The recent demonstrations have been characterised as leaderless.

The bill is shelved, but protesters continue to march, seeking the ouster of the city's leader Carrie Lam, democratic elections and investigations into alleged police brutality against demonstrators.