After maximum sustained winds were recorded over 180 miles per hour on Monday, Sept. 2, Hurricane Dorian has since deteriorated to a Category 3 storm with sustained winds of about 120 miles per hour, according to the latest advisory by the National Hurricane Center.
Hurricane-force winds extended 60 miles (100 km) from the storm's core, with still-dangerous tropical storm-force winds felt for 175 miles (280 km) from its center.
But its wind speeds lessened slightly to 120 miles per hour (193 kph) with higher gusts.
Hurricane Dorian's eye is slowly moving northwestward. A turn toward the north is forecast by Wednesday evening, followed by a turn to the north-northeast Thursday morning.
Several Florida theme parks announced closures Tuesday as Hurricane Dorian is expected to near Florida's east coast. The forecast keeps it offshore, with all of Florida completely removed from the cone of uncertainty.
A hurricane watch earlier had been declared for the Northwest Bahamas islands, including Abaco, Grand Bahama, Bimini, Berry Islands, North Eleuthera, North Andros and New Providence, which includes Paradise Island and Nassau.
The National Hurricane Center extended its watches and warnings stretching from Florida to the Georgia coastline.
Southeast Virginia: 2 to 4 inches of rain, with isolated areas of 6 inches. Zone B includes the barrier islands, land areas north and south of the Jupiter Inlet, and other surge-vulnerable areas south along the Intracoastal Waterway to the Broward County line.
On Thursday, the storm will approach near the coast of North Carolina.
A hurricane warning is in effect for Grand Bahama Island and the Abacos Islands in the northwestern Bahamas. In total, 31 clinics in Florida and south Georgia are expected to be closed Tuesday.
Authorities cautioned that it could still make landfall on the East Coast.
Brevard County issued the evacuation order for Sunday. Lake Okeechobee was under a tropical storm watch.
Forecasters predict Dorian will remain a hurricane as it moves up the Atlantic seaboard this week.
- Hurricane Dorian continues to batter the Bahamas as the storm remains at a standstill.
Storm threats include heavy rain (highest amounts expected east of Interstate 95), damaging winds, storm surge, tornadoes, as well as rip currents and risky surf.
"For all the ones asking. yes. everyone here gets along and welcome the newcomers with tail wags cause they know they are their brothers and sisters in suffering on the streets", Phillips wrote.
- Hurricane Dorian likely to hit US mainland; Emergency declared in Florida
- Osaka, crowd help tearful Coco cope with lopsided loss
- Corbyn backs nationwide protests against parliament shutdown
- US, Chinese tariffs officially take effect as trade war escalates
- US Open blown wide open after Novak Djokovic retires
- Formula 2 driver Anthoine Hubert killed in race crash
- Thousands protest UK Parliament suspension
- David Luiz makes admission about his defending in game against Spurs
- President Donald Trump Is Suing Omarosa And Others For Confidentiality Breaches
- Texas police hunting for two possible gunmen as 20 injured in shooting