The first 30 seconds had been a dream for Kosovo.
Rashford lined up on the left of a front three alongside Harry Kane and Raheem Sterling during England's 4-0 win over Bulgaria on Saturday - a front three Southgate believes is as strong as any in global football right now.
But before 20 minutes of the match had passed, Kosovo's illustrious opponents were leading.
Keane atoned for his error by setting up Raheem Sterling, who restored parity with a close range header.
"You need to have players on the field to affect the games, but you need to have players that can come in and have an impact and I think we're in a healthy position".
And it proved to be their undoing once again in the opening minute.
Kosovo occupy third spot in the group and have every chance of reaching their first global tournament given the impressive way they carried the fight against their lauded opponents.
England were a bit laboured against the Bulgarians and Gareth Southgate is likely to freshen up his starting XI with a few changes.
And they cut the deficit to two 10 minutes into the second half.
Fidan Aliti went down after a challenge from Trent Alexander-Arnold, but England played on.
Keane would make amends soon after, though, heading back across goal to Sterling to redirect the ball into Kosovo's net with a header of his own to bring England level.
Kosovo are third with eight points and still very much in the frame to qualify for their first tournament finals, while the Czech Republic are in second place with nine points after a 3-0 victory in Montenegro. He played in Valon Berisha, who cooly finished past the the onrushing Jordan Pickford. I know the tickets have sold out really quickly, so we're looking forward to a brilliant atmosphere tomorrow night.
Asked if the players are beginning to recognise they have the potential to be the best, Southgate said: "It's an interesting comment".
But somehow the hosts' goal tally was restricted to five.
Former Premier League winners Alan Shearer and Chris Sutton have both tipped Tottenham striker Harry Kane to break the England goalscoring record.
- Track, computer models, radar for Hurricane Dorian
- Canada's Bianca Andreescu competes for place in US Open final
- Canada: Hurricane Dorian's sting in the tail leaves 500,000 without power
- Second US death linked to vaping is reported in Oregon
- Foxconn cheats China iPhone workers
- Lawlessness Is A Crime Against Our Country - South African President
- Mercedes boss criticises Ferrari's Leclerc over controversial move
- UK MPs to vote on blocking no-deal Brexit
- Saudi Arabia wants to enrich uranium for nuclear power, says minister
- Samsung's $2k foldable phone goes on sale following major setback