While the 23-year-old was initially facing upward of 40 years in prison, he cut a deal to cooperate with the prosecution in exchange for a possibly lighter sentence. In addition, Tekashi admitted he arranged a hit on Chief Keef for $20,000 and provided more than $80,000 to the Trey Nine Blood Gang.
While in court, Tekashi was asked if he modeled his career after Cardi B, who he claimed was a Blood gang member before becoming a rapper and pop cultural icon. "I didn't pay attention", he told the court. His song "Gummo" which involved members of the Bloods in the music video was a viral victory, but his connection with Nine Trey may have cut his wings before he was ready to soar as an artist fully.
Cardi's Atlantic Records rep denied her involvement with the gang to Billboard; however, the rapper admitted she was associated with the Brims subset of the Bloods as a teenager during an interview with GQ previous year. A transcript released on Thursday shows the rapper only listed Cardi as a member of the Bloods not Nine Trey.
"You just said it yourself.Brim not 9 Trey".
On September 19, the Grammy victor seemingly responded to Tekashi's confession by sharing an epic meme on Instagram of KeKe Palmer saying in short clip, "I hate to say it".
Although Cardi still "reps" Brim Blood, the hitmaker doesn't encourages fans to follow in her footsteps.
"Here's the thing", she said.
A representative for Cardi likewise told Metro that Hernandez's claims were incorrect.
He added the songstress was affiliated with Nine Trey - but Cardi and her team insist he's lying about that. He used to fly off with his homies, Cardi said. And they would say, "Yo, you get it poppin". You should turn Blood.' And I did.
Cardi then went on to explain that she seemingly left the group when she started stripping.
- Fed makes second straight rate cut, splits on further action
- Vermont to fight Trump plan to revoke California emissions standards
- Cabinet Approves Ordinance to Ban E-Cigarettes, E-Hookahs
- Huawei Mate 30, Mate 30 Pro arrive - but without Google services
- Marrone - Ramsey will play Thursday vs. Titans
- Voting begins in Israel election seen as referendum on Netanyahu
- Huawei debuts phone without Google apps as U.S. sanctions bite
- Bermuda gets ready for pass by Category 3 Hurricane Humberto
- London students to take part in global climate strike on Friday
- Blind singer with autism wins America’s Got Talent