At least gradual development of this system is expected, and a tropical depression or tropical storm could form during the next couple of days while it moves westward and then northwestward at about 15 miles per hour across the Windward Islands and over the eastern Caribbean Sea.
Two other tropical storms, Kiko and Mario, were farther out in the Pacific and posed no threat to land.
There have been as many as five active Atlantic tropical cyclones at once, which happened in September 1971, the National Hurricane Center said.
If it gets a name it will be Lorenzo. Humberto was predicted to pass just to the north of Bermuda, but a small shift in track could bring the storm over the island itself.
Karen had winds of 40 miles per hour, making it a minimal tropical storm.
A weather alert has been issued for the Leeward Islands and British Virgin Islands (BVI) concerning Jerry-a tropical storm turned hurricane as of 11am yesterday (Thursday).
Haircut and manager memes are making the rounds on Twitter as Tropical Storm Karen dumps rain on the southern Windward Islands. Tropical storm conditions are possible within the watch area beginning on Tuesday.
Bermuda's Belco electric power company said 28,600 customers were without service because of the storm. At that time, the storm was about 490 miles east of the Leeward Islands and headed west-northwest at 16 mph, the hurricane center said.
Lorena had maximum sustained winds of 70 mph (110 kph) late Thursday and it was centered about 145 miles (235 kilometers) east-southeast of Cabo San Lucas.
Lorena came onshore a day earlier as a hurricane in the western Mexican state of Colima, whipping palm trees with its strong winds and lashing the area with rain.
Jerry is forecast to turn in the general direction of Bermuda and pass near the island late Tuesday.
Although some overnight models are beginning to indicate that this tropical wave could become a system worth monitoring later this week, it remains too early to determine how this system will evolve in the long term.
The second wave is expected to move off the west coast of Africa by Sunday.
On the National Hurricane Center forecast track, the center of Karen will move across the Windward Islands today and emerge over the southeastern Caribbean Sea tonight.
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Israel Vote Deadlock Confirmed After Near-Complete Official Poll Results
- Pakistan trolls Imran Khan, compares his and PM Modi's reception in US
- Dolphins choose Josh Rosen to start Sunday
- Top smartphones for gaming
- New Zealand's discipline won them the game, says Erasmus
- Most active Western Conference teams this offseason
- Democratic Hopeful Pete Buttigieg Takes a Dig at Sen. Elizabeth Warren
- Netanyahu calls for Israeli unity government with rival Benny Gantz
- Zidane warns: he would quit Real Madrid without backing