People rushed out of their homes and offices in panic in several places, including Rajasthan, Punjab and Haryana.
People gather outside their office building after an quake is felt in Islamabad, Pakistan, Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2019. According to the sources quake monitoring agencies, the epicentre is somewhere in Pakistan-occupied-Kashmir.
"Earthquake of Magnitude:6.3, Occurred on:24-09-2019, 16:31:58 IST, Lat:32.9 N & Long: 73.7 E, Depth: 40 Km, Region: Pakistan - India (J & K ) Border region", the tweet said.
Raja Qaiser, a deputy commissioner in the region, said rescuers were still taking victims to hospitals in the city, where an emergency was declared. General Muhammad Afzal was quoted by TV Channels as saying that 50 people have been injured and one woman killed due to the quake.
Footage aired on local channels showed a portion of a main highway torn apart, with several vehicles flipped down the shoulders of the road in Jatlaan area.
According to Geo News, tremors were felt in Islamabad, Rawalpindi, Sialkot, Murree, Jhelum, Charsadda, Swat, Khyber Agency, Abbottabad, Bajaur, Nowshera, Mansehra, Battagram, Torghar and Kohistan.
An natural disaster measuring 6.3 on the Richter scale hit Pakistan and India on Tuesday (September 24) at 4:32 pm.
Pakistan Army chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa directed "immediate rescue operation in aid of civil administration" for victims of quake in PoK.
"Thank God, the damage is confined to one particular area, and this one is pretty accessible from all sides", the chief of Pakistan's National Disaster Management Authority, Lieutenant General Mohammad Afzal, told ARY News TV.
The Mangla Dam, however, was not affected by the quake, Afzal said. The area was the worst hit.
- UK Labour chief Corbyn: I will serve full term if made PM
- Walmart Officially Bans E-Cigarettes
- Archie going on royal tour to South Africa
- Congress, intel leaders clash over whistleblower report on Trump
- Most active Western Conference teams this offseason
- Zidane warns: he would quit Real Madrid without backing
- ‘Everything is fine in India’: PM’s response to ‘Howdy, Modi!’ | Full speech
- Yemeni Govt. Dismisses Houthi Declaration of Ending Attacks against Saudi Arabia
- Teen climate activist tells United Nations leaders 'we will never forgive you'
- Trump labels Biden 'very dishonest' as he defends call with Ukrainian president