The epicentre of the quake, which occurred at around 4 pm at a depth of only 10 kilometres, was near Mirpur city in AJK, roughly 20 kilometres north of Jhelum in Punjab, according to the US Geological Survey.
Death toll from Tuesday's strong natural disaster in Pakistani-administered Kashmir has touched to 37, as rescuers backed by soldiers continued negotiating with collapsed roads and bridges, to reach remote areas in the tremor-hit region, local media and officials reported.
"We have reports of cracks in the roads there", said disaster management official Ammar Raza Shaikh.
An Associated Press reporter saw dozens of partially damaged homes along a road leading to Mirpur, where doctors were treating quake victims in open areas outside the city's main government-run hospital due to a shortage of beds.
In Islamabad, the tremors shook buildings and people could be seen rushing out to the streets."It lasted for 8-10 seconds but it was very scary", an Islamabad resident told a Pakistani news channel. However, there was extensive damage in PoK's Mirpur, where several houses and a part of a mosque collapsed.
The hardest hit area was in the district of Mirpur, where thousands of homes and buildings were damaged, many reduced to piles of bricks and rubble.
Authorities said rescue work in quake-hit areas was completed and authorities were still assessing damages.
Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Qamar Javed Bajwa has visited the earthquake-affected areas of Azad Kashmir, ISPR reported on Tuesday.
Troops and other emergency responders carried out rescue operations through the night, with engineers starting fix work on a key roadway that was severely damaged, the Pakistan Army's communications arm said.
Dunya TV reported that 50 people, including women and children, in Mirpur had to be shifted to a hospital after a building collapsed following the natural disaster.
The NDMA, in a notification released, said that aftershocks are also expected in the earthquake-hit areas within the next 24 hours. According to reports, tremors were also felt in Jammu and Kashmir.
People from India and Pakistan posted videos of the tremors they felt on social media.
- Trump ordered delay in $400 military aid to Ukraine before call
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War
- Fritz puts World on brink of first Laver Cup
- Worlds best female footballer Rapinoe dedicates Federation Internationale de Football Association award to her female lover
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- Indian PM Modi appears with US President Donald Trump at US rally
- Meghan Markle emulates Princess Diana in South Africa
- GM Layoffs 700 More Canadian Workers Due To UAW Strike
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- Archie going on royal tour to South Africa