Prince Harry returned to that hospital on September 27 and renamed it in honour of his mother and also reconnected with patients she met while there.
It comes 22 years after the late Princess of Wales hit headlines globally following a minefield walk in the same country in January 1997.
In 2005, a 13-year-old girl lost a foot after stepping on one of the explosive devices in the area.
The royals are on a 10-day visit to southern Africa, their first official tour as a family. He will visit the location where an iconic picture of her was taken at a de-mining site in 1997 and an orthopaedic centre she visited that will be renamed after her. They will also meet Graca Machel, widow of South African anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela, and meet President Cyril Ramaphosa before departing for London.
"It has been an honour to retrace my mother's steps today".
'Princess Diana was watching this process and she started crying as she watched me getting measured for a new prosthetic.
Harry will return to the same area, now a street in the bustling town of Huambo that has thrived after the landmines were subsequently cleared.
The prince on Friday is set to visit the spot where Diana was famously photographed during her own Africa visit in 1997.
Harry needed some time to collect himself while looking at the tree named after his mother.
"Landmines are an unhealed scar of war", Prince Harry said in his speech.
The mother told the duke she had five children, and the royal seemed taken aback and asked for their ages and she told him, speaking through an interpreter: 'I have a daughter I named her after Diana'. "I'm pretty sure she would have seen it through".
Queen Elizabeth's grandson and sixth in line to the British throne visited a de-mining field outside Dirico, a town in Angola's Cuando Cubango province, where, wearing a safety vest, he remotely detonated a mine in a controlled explosion.
An Angolan minister attending the event said the "humanistic heritage" of the princess's anti-landmine campaign was the catalyst for his country's final push to remove all the munitions by 2025.
- Kevin Feige Developing Star Wars Movie for Disney
- THC May Play a Role in Vaping Deaths and Illnesses — CDC
- Attorney General Bill Barr implicated in whistleblower complaint DOJ tried to hide
- Trump Urged Ukraine Leader To Investigate Joe Biden, Transcript Reveals
- Defoe strengthens Euros case
- Australia’s Hodge suspended for 3 matches
- US President Trump reiterates offer to mediate Kashmir crisis
- United Kingdom prime minister compares Brexit to Prometheus’ plight with liver-eating eagle
- Amazon Is Making it Way Easier to Delete Your Alexa Recordings
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest