Substitute Leon Clarke had a wonderful opportunity to score an equaliser late on but blazed his shot wide from a cross.
Mane should have done better with that effort but the one two minutes before the break was even more inexplicable.
"Jack O'Connell. It could have easily been John Egan, any of the central defenders".
"All respect to Sheffield United, they did really well over 95 minutes".
Finally, the Norwegian tactician confirms that England fullback Luke Shaw is doing great in the recuperating room, and he could get some game-time on Monday.
Wijnaldum said at the final whistle: "We didn't start the game well". We were delighted with the shape but their chances came from our mistakes.
"We are focused on what we have to do and that is to keep improving", the United manager said at a press conference. The United keeper not fully behind the midfielder's volley as it squirmed through him and just over the line.
"He gets the chances so we're not anxious about that at all".
Liverpool dominated posession in the second half but failed to create any clear cut chances. Unlucky for Sheffield United. The goalie played an incredible game but in this situation, he was involved in that.
"These games, they are not all beauties and you have to work hard for the result", he told BT Sport.
"We have managed him as you can't just throw him in the deep end all the time".
Nonetheless, Liverpool took three points and extended their lead at the summit, much to the admiration of Crouch.
"Is it allowed they run more? No". But it's another win, that's the most important thing.
"It was a question of tempo". We have had some tough years but that is why we're here, to try and help.
Paul Pogba is a doubt for Manchester United's match against Arsenal, giving beleaguered manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer a fresh headache as he juggles his scant attacking resources. They've been so impressive.
'They dug in at Chelsea, they dug in today.
- Unai Emery appoints Granit Xhaka as first-choice Arsenal captain
- Penn State Nittany Lions at Maryland Terrapins odds, picks and best bets
- Amazon Is Making it Way Easier to Delete Your Alexa Recordings
- Pulp diction: Amazon's Alexa to feature Samuel L. Jackson's voice
- Apple Warns Of Keyboard Bug Hack
- Australia’s Hodge suspended for 3 matches
- China wants to make trade deal 'very badly'
- Fresh call for polls expected after Johnson's court rebuke
- THC May Play a Role in Vaping Deaths and Illnesses — CDC
- Macron says conditions in place for Trump, Rouhani talks