The burger chain will test its P.L.T or the plant, lettuce and tomato burger, a play on the traditional bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich, in southwestern Ontario, Canada. The addition will be made as a test series for 12 weeks in 28 restaurants of South-western Ontario only.
Beyond Meat shares jumped 14 per cent in pre-market trading on Thursday, and were up almost 10 per cent as of 12:25 p.m. ET.
As consumers grow more concerned about health and the impact of industrial animal farming on climate change, the plant-based market is expected to explode to an estimated $140 billion over the next decade, according to Barclays. Beyond Meat stock has been soaring on the news of its partnership with McDonald's.
Beyond Meat makes its burgers using pea protein, canola oil and beetroot juice extract, amongst other ingredients, and you can find out more about them here.
Starting Thursday, the soy-based meat substitute will be available in select grocery stores along the East Coast, less than a week after making its grocery-store debut on the West Coast.
McDonald's has been slower than its competitors in embracing the meatless trend.
Beyond Meat's plant-based patty features no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. In short, an Impossible Burger has a carbon footprint about 89 percent smaller than that of a burger made the old-fashioned way (like, by raising and slaughtering a cow).
Fans tend to talk about "McDonald's and Burger King" in the United States as if they're nearly equals, but in fact, McDonald's dwarfs its rival.
For McDonald's, the decision isn't as easy because it has struggled with a complex menu that has angered franchises and slowed down service.
While the patty is technically vegan, the PLT as a whole has processed cheese and a mayo-style sauce, but McDonald's says vegans can customise their orders appropriately (i.e. remove those elements).
- Kevin Feige Developing Star Wars Movie for Disney
- Related deaths in Florida, Georgia bring nationwide to 12
- Prince Harry retraces Princess Diana’s steps with walk through Angola minefield
- Saudi Arabia blocks United Nations oceans report over 1.5C global warming cap
- Pulp diction: Amazon's Alexa to feature Samuel L. Jackson's voice
- England leads United States 19-0 at halftime in Kobe
- Marvel cancels plans for live-action ‘Ghost Rider’ series
- Trump can’t seem to let go of desire to arbitrate on Kashmir
- Australia’s Hodge suspended for 3 matches
- Trump Urged Ukraine Leader To Investigate Joe Biden, Transcript Reveals