"I was able to control my line, control my speed and have a couple of them drop in".
Adam Hadwin of Abbotsford was three shots off the lead and David Hearn of Brantford, Ont., was six back after playing in morning groups. "I had one loose swing on my back nine today and I was able to correct it pretty quickly, and that's a little different than the past, so just keep pluggin'".
Romo entered the Safeway Open as an amateur sponsors' exemption.
"Same thing I did in football", Romo told PGATour.com after his round when asked how he cobbled together his round. "That's five or six shots easily there, and that can be a difference out here". Thomas, who closed fast after a shaky start on Thursday, kept up the good work to put himself in contention heading into the weekend of his first start of the season.
Phil Mickelson also fell below the cutline in his season debut with a 69 on Friday. "I know if I can get in the fairways on those (par 5s) and kind of do what I did today, it will be a good day". "I feel like I've had points like this in my career before - most obvious to me was in 2012, where I played great all year and didn't win".
He stumbled with back-to-back bogeys at the third and fourth holes but birdied the par-5 fifth on a 13-foot birdie putt, then closed with back-to-back birdie putts, a 20-footer at the eighth and seven-footer at the par-5 ninth. Watney needed just 22 putts to complete his round and stay within range of DeChambeau.
Five players sit tied for third at 9 under: Justin Thomas (whose 64 matched DeChambeau and Collin Morikawa for the low round Friday), Adam Long (68), Cameron Champ (68), Canada's Nick Taylor (66) and South Africa's Dylan Frittelli (65).
Scott leads at 7 under after the first round but it's someone lurking five shots behind making all the headlines in wine country.
- Unai Emery appoints Granit Xhaka as first-choice Arsenal captain
- Jürgen Klopp says Liverpool only deserved draw with Sheffield United
- McConnell Urged Trump To Release The Ukraine Call Memo
- Afghan election sees big drop in voter numbers
- Movie theaters ban masks, costumes at 'Joker' screenings
- Tesla Adds Spotify, Netflix, YouTube and Hulu Support
- United Kingdom prime minister compares Brexit to Prometheus’ plight with liver-eating eagle
- Trump can’t seem to let go of desire to arbitrate on Kashmir
- Dire conclusions for oceans in new climate report
- OnePlus 7 and 7 Pro prices slashed for Amazon Great India Sale