"Widespread significant tree damage is possible with the heavy, wet snow and strong winds impacting trees with foliage".
Temperatures will gradually begin to cool with highs in the 40s and 50s across northwestern Montana by Friday, lows in the mid-20s to mid-30s.
Places like Great Falls, Montana could be shoveling more than a foot of snow.
"You have to go back to the 1930s before you find another storm like this, this early in the season", said Josh Weiss, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service's (NWS) Weather Prediction Center. The city of Great Falls saw 9.6 inches of snow on Sunday - a record for the date of September 29.
You can see the latest video report from the U.S. National Weather Service - Great Falls on the impending storm system below.
A National Weather Service map from September 27 shows the forecast for Montana. Extreme caution should be used if driving a high profile vehicle today, especially along the Rocky Mountain Front.
In Missoula, which has not received snow in September since 1983, state Department of Transportation officials were preparing snowplows and sanding trucks and putting up "watch for ice on bridge" signs, maintenance chief Steve Felix told the Missoulian. It may amount to as much as 30 inches in lower elevations, but the mountains could see three to five feet.
Widespread rain is also expected with the passage of today's cold front and snow is likely above 7,000 feet.
The National Weather Service in Great Falls reports almost a foot (28 centimeters) of snow had fallen near Marias Pass just south of Glacier National Park by midmorning Saturday.
Stay tuned for more updates from your STORMTracker weather team.
NWS forecast confidence is high at this time regarding snowfall accumulations, wind strength and expected impacts.
Wind gusts as high as 55 miles per hour are possible and visibility is near or below a quarter mile, the weather service said. Look for updates on the FreightWaves social media accounts.
- Afghan election sees big drop in voter numbers
- England's Piers Francis has been cited for high tackle
- Tony Romo may skip National Football League game Sunday so he can golf
- Jürgen Klopp says Liverpool only deserved draw with Sheffield United
- Disgruntled Jaguars cornerback Jalen Ramsey reportedly calls in sick
- Macron says conditions in place for Trump, Rouhani talks
- SpaceX's Starship halves come together ahead of a big event
- Voting opens in Austria with Sebastian Kurz likely to regain power
- McDonald's Tests New Beyond Meat Plant-Based Burger In Canada
- Scotland defeated by Ireland in tournament opener