Airman aboard B-17 opened hatch, allowed escape

Friday, 04 Oct, 2019

Two patients were also scheduled to be transferred to another hospital that specialises in the treatment of burns, he said. Hartford Hospital's Dr. Jonathan Gates said, "We didn't know how many to expect, but we knew it couldn't be good".

Gov. Ned Lamont said the hearts of all CT citizens are "broken" for the families of the victims.

Having turned round to land, four minutes after this initial message the plane skidded into the de-icing building.

Smoke and flames are visible throughout the area.

The airport was temporarily closed while flights were diverted to TF Green International Airport outside Providence, Rhode Island.

The Vernon Police Chief remembered him also for his work outside of the department, including earning induction into the Connecticut Special Olympics Hall of Fame, according to a statement obtained by News 12 Connecticut.

Authorities report that that representatives from the FAA, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Homeland Security are on the scene assisting the evidence technicians from the National Transportation Safety Board.

2 that at least five people died in the incident. The NTSB has launched a Go Team led by Board Member Jennifer Homendy to investigate the accident. FAA is on site, as is Homeland security. The airport re-opened with just one operational runway at about 1:30 p.m. Airport officials said they expect continued cancelation of flights throughout the day.

A World War II-era plane with 13 people aboard crashed and burned at the Hartford airport after encountering mechanical trouble on takeoff Wednesday, killing seven of them.

Connecticut Senator Richard Blumenthal said the plane was one of only 18 B-17s left in the country, and that the crash might have implications for the flying of vintage aircraft.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with those who were on that flight and we will be forever grateful to the heroic efforts of the first responders at Bradley", Collings officials said in a statement to PEOPLE.

Another witness Brian Hamer told broadcaster FOX61 the plane took off but didn't climb very high. "We'd like to return, and blow it out", another pilot in the aircraft said. In the boxes you can see screenshots from October 2 crash site.

The plane is owned by the Collings Foundation, which brought five of its restored planes to a World War II-era air show this week at the airport, which confirmed the crash on Twitter.

The airport says fire and rescue operations are underway.