Merritt confirmed Brown was killed but a suspect or motive is not known.
Brown's testimony was crucial to the outcome of the case, Merritt said.
That night, Brown left his apartment to go watch a football game and when he came back just before 10pm he heard two gunshots and a commotion in the hallway. After talking in his testimony about how he would hear Jean singing gospel or Drake songs inside his apartment, Brown became emotional and had to take a break from questioning. She said she pushed open Jean's unlocked door and shot the 26-year-old accountant from the Caribbean island nation of St. Lucia after thinking he was a burglar. In a Sunday tweet, she demanded answers for the fatal shooting. She will be eligible for parole in five years. The victims was transported to Parkland Memorial Hospital, where they died from their injuries, according to a statement from Dallas Police.
The sentence angered Jean's family members and social justice advocates, who said it was another example of failing to hold white police officers like Guyger accountable for their actions. The witnesses directed police to the parking lot where a man was lying on the ground.
According to CNN, witnesses told authorities they heard shots fired before then seeing a silver sedan speed out of the parking lot. Brown was not shot in the mouth or head but was shot more than one time.
Brown "was ambushed at his apartment complex as he got out of his auto and (was) shot at close range", attorney Lee Merritt wrote in a Facebook post Saturday night. Spokesperson Kimberlee Leach with the Dallas County District Attorney's Office confirmed to TIME that the victim was Brown.
Judge Tammy Kemp called a recess so that Brown could collect himself.
Jurors convicted Guyger of murder and sentenced her to 10 years in prison. She insisted she shot and killed Jean in his own apartment because she believed she was in her own home and he was an intruder. While it's not yet clear if Brown's death was related to his testimony in Guyger's trial, as some are speculating, we hope his killer or killers are brought to justice and his family can get closure amid their grief.
"What he did today, was remarkable, and he did it all on his own", Allison Jean told CBS News. He also said he heard two people talking on the evening of September 6, 2018 but couldn't understand what was being said.
- House Democrats subpoena White House for impachment inquiry documents
- Microsoft says Iranian hackers targeted U.S. presidential candidate
- Teen Activist Greta Thunberg Joins Climate Strike in Iowa City
- New Horizons probe reveals distant Ultima Thule asteroid looks like a snowman
- House Democrats Demand Ukraine Documents from Mike Pence
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Trump Publicly Calls For China And Ukraine To Investigate Bidens
- House Democrats subpoena White House for documents in impeachment investigation
- Bulldog Brexiteer Boris Insists 'NO DELAY' to Brexit
- Diahann Carroll, Oscar-nominated actress, dies at 84