Gruden took over as Redskins coach in 2014 and held a 35-49-1 record, leading Washington to just one playoff appearance that came in 2015.
The Redskins also have been among the most injured teams over the past three-plus seasons.
"If he gets cleared, he'll start", Jets coach Adam Gase said of the second-year quarterback, who has been at an enhanced risk of sustaining a ruptured spleen as he works his way past mononucleosis.
Gruden is considered a strong offensive mind by executives and players, but under him the Redskins often hurt themselves with penalties and undisciplined play.
"This is a production-based business, and I didn't get it done", Gruden told Les Carpenter of The Washington Post.
While Redskins brass evidently believes it's time for a change, Gruden's reported firing apparently isn't going over too well with players.
Callahan added that the coaching staff needs to develop a "package of plays" for Haskins that he's comfortable with and that he knows are "his" before he's ready to start.
NFL Network's Tom Pelissero cited a source informed saying that Thomas likely won't miss any time, but that the league will review the play for a possible fine. Over the past six seasons, Gruden has times where his team has been sitting atop the NFC east standings. However, a 35-49-1 record simply did not cut it, and he was sacked on Monday. On top of being without Alex Smith, there were the notable injuries to QB Colt McCoy, TE Jordan Reed, C Chase Roullier, RG Brandon Scherff, among others and the holdout of LT Trent Williams.
Gruden has generally shrugged at the things that have gone wrong, and many around the team say his even-tempered personality kept the team from collapsing.
Meanwhile, Rams head coach Sean McVay, a former Redskins offensive coordinator under Gruden, said he exchanged texts with Gruden on Monday and called it a "tough situation" for a close friend. "When you're 0-5, 0-5 coaches don't last very long".
Gruden becomes the fifth coach fired by Snyder, joining a group that includes Norv Turner, Marty Schottenheimer, Jim Zorn and Mike Shanahan. Spurrier did so after two years, but it was widely speculated that he would have been fired had he not resigned; Gibbs retired after four seasons.
- Apple CEO Tim Cook Throws Shade At Facebook's Libra Cryptocurrency
- Donald Trump calls for impeachment of his GOP Senator Mitt Romney
- Kylie Jenner confirms Travis Scott breakup, denies Tyga reunion
- Predictions for Buckeyes vs. Spartans
- Trump Publicly Calls For China And Ukraine To Investigate Bidens
- Dallas police seek motive in slaying of Guyger trial witness
- Chinese Basketball Association, Tencent, Weibo To Stop Working With Rockets Over Tweet
- House Democrats subpoena White House for impachment inquiry documents
- Schiff Faces Critics from Both Parties Over Handling of Trump Impeachment Probe
- Man Escorted Out Of 'Joker' Screening For Cheering On-Screen Murders