"This issue involved ultrasonic fingerprint sensors unlocking devices after recognizing 3-dimensional patterns appearing on certain silicone screen protecting cases as users' fingerprints", Samsung said, referring to the in-screen fingerprint reader on its newest phones. For one United Kingdom couple using an low-cost "gel" screen protector (or case, it isn't immediately clear which), their cheap accessory compromised the phone's fingerprint recognition capabilities by allowing any finger to unlock the phone, eliminating the security offered by the in-display reader. The report states that the company may use scratch-resistant ultra-thin-glass to protect the display of the second-generation foldable phone. Samsung has since released an statement regarding the phones security in relation to these silicone screen covers. "We are building software that gets ultrasonic waves not to detect the patterns of silicon cases", said a company official, adding, "We will soon provide a software patch".
After she purchased a third party display protector, her husband managed to unlock her telephone with his fingerprint, although it wasn't registered. And best keep your phone out of reach of dodgy looking folks who want to pry on your phone's photos and contact list.
Samsung has also stated that it will release a patch to prevent its recurrence in the future, which will be available next week at the soonest.
But it has a history of humiliating setbacks with major products, most notably a worldwide recall of its Galaxy Note 7 devices in 2016 over exploding batteries, which hammered its reputation.
In this iFixit teardown picture, you can see the ultrasonic fingerprint sensor hardware on the back side of the display.
After all, there's a big difference between an unresponsive or completely nonfunctional fingerprint recognition system and one that can't distinguish the rightful owner of a phone from a possible intruder just because something is covering up the screen.
- Euro zone bond yields rise ahead of crunch Brexit vote
- Elizabeth Warren Learns That Being a Frontrunner Isn't All Fun and Games
- Google Pixelbook Go vs Pixelbook: What's Changed?
- League of Legends: Wild Rift is coming to PS4 in 2020
- Separatist protesters set fire to barricades in streets of Barcelona
- Sanders: I'm ready to get back to running a 'vigorous' campaign
- Boris Johnson will ask for Brexit delay after losing parliament vote
- Prince William and wife Kate fine after plane twice aborts Islamabad landing
- Babri Masjid Case Verdict: Indian Supreme Court reserves decision
- Energy Secretary Rick Perry Tells Trump He Plans on Resigning