Kante has made just four appearances in the league this season due to injury and hurt himself again while on worldwide duty with France.
Chelsea have fond memories of the stadium in Amsterdam however, having lifted the 2013 UEFA Cup there - a match in which gaffer Frank Lampard captained the side - and they'll be aiming to their eight match unbeaten (W6 D2) run away from home in Europe. Anyone who watched them shipping four goals to Manchester United, or letting a 2-0 lead slip against Sheffield United, or getting involved in basketball-esque affairs at Norwich and Wolves, could hardly have imagined that they would come to the Amsterdam Arena, keep a clean sheet and - not only that- return to London with a richly deserved win.
Seven of Chelsea's matchday squad had never played Champions League football until this season.
The UEFA Champions League games continue on Wednesday and the two early games promise plenty.
The Dutch champions rattled three goals past both Lille and Valencia and are averaging more than three goals a game in the Dutch Eredivisie.
These are always the same. The long term is that we didn't come here and we haven't only turned 21 and see it sound like it did today, and there's a lot more to it.to come. Everybody is raving about Chelsea's youngsters too - at the weekend I thought they would struggle against Newcastle. Holes can be found in Chelsea's form if you're looking for them and so odds about 11/8 on the home win look attractive enough to get involved.
It is Lampard's best spell since he took the job in the summer, joining from Championship side Derby County, and for Cole, Lampard and his players are only going to get better from here.
Ajax are averaging over three goals a game at home and overseas and are hungry for European success after semi-final heartache last season. Coverage will start at 4.30pm.
- Pep Guardiola Provides Update on Rodri Following Injury Suffered in Atalanta Win
- Google working on Pixel 4 face unlock issue "in the coming months"
- Brexit Latest: Will Britain Leave the European Union on October 31?
- Cody Simpson Reacts to Backlash for Miley Cyrus' Comment About Being Gay
- Facebook removes scores of inauthentic accounts, one targeting United States 2020 election
- Trump Drops Plan To Host G-7 Summit At His Miami Resort
- Hong Kong protesters pray, gird for unauthorized rally
- Hear Selena Gomez’s New Ballad ‘Lose You To Love Me’
- Manchester City are not ready to win Champions League: Guardiola
- In Putin call, French president urges ceasefire extension in Syria