Trump's boast about the raid that allegedly killed al-Baghdadi has peeved many liberal pundits and news outlets, with some even airbrushing the head of the worldwide "caliphate" in hopes of depriving Trump of a foreign policy victory.
While the canine was a hero, al-Baghdadi "died like a dog", said the US president. Pentagon officials said on Monday that the dog is "fully recovering". "But the dog is still in theatre (and) returned to duty with its handler", Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Mark Milley told reporters here. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., one of President Donald Trump's most ardent supporters, told "Fox and Friends": "ISIS is not defeated, my friend". I said, what's the dog's name?
The White House did not immediately clarify which ISIS leader the president was referencing.
President Trump said al-Baghdadi ran into a dead-end tunnel, "whimpering and crying and screaming", while being chased by military dogs. "Another president should've gotten him", Trump said during a televised speech Sunday. Trump tweeted. Baghdadi had not officially named his successor, but several names were being speculated after his death.
Trump and senior policy adviser Stephen Miller, who played a chief role in writing the remarks, were tweaking the copy at the last minute, which made Trump late to the podium, CNN has learned.
"This is big news... it's been minimized by so numerous Trump critics this morning". Yes, "the president of the United States got booed while watching the national pastime", he said, comparing that humiliation to "getting kicked in the nuts by an apple pie".
The complex USA mission was ably assisted by the Russians, Kurds, Turks and even Bashar al Assad's Syrian troops. "He was an inspirational leader in addition to being a thug and a murderer", Esper said, adding that taking out such a leader would have a major impact on the organisation. "This is not just their leader, it's their founder. But it was a better weekend than a lot of them for the president", he added, because Islamic State leader "Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi is Bagh-dead-i now".
And for those who are wondering, here is the original declassified dog.
- Parliament confirms general election will take place in December
- UK speaker rules against another Brexit deal vote
- Kill on Baghdadi's heir apparent confirmed now too
- Apple debuts AirPods Pro with noise cancelling, higher price
- Fact Check: President Trump's Plans For Syrian Oil
- Kanye West Announces A New Album 'Jesus Is Born' Dropping On Christmas
- California governor declares statewide emergency as Kincade Fire grows to 50000 acres
- Trump says Chicago an embarrassment to US
- HBO orders 10 episodes of Game of Thrones prequel
- Impeachment Procedures Vote Scheduled for Thursday