Never before had the visiting team won the first six, let alone seven, games in a World Series - and that goes for the best-of-seven postseason series in the National Basketball Association and the NHL, too. Strasburg was named the series' MVP.
It is the Nationals' first championship since the franchise moved to Washington D.C.in 2005.
Cole could have gotten eight outs to close the game.
On Thursday, Cole issued a statement thanking the Astros organization and their fans for being "overwhelmingly friendly" and making Houston feel like home after just two seasons.
Kendrick connected on the second pitch, slicing a drive that hit the screen attached to the right field foul pole for a 3-2 lead.
"I was like, 'Man, I'm feeling pretty good.' Waking up for Game 6, that morning I was moving my head around even better", he said. "Another elimination game, another come-from-behind win". Neither lasted the game.
Zack Greinke, picked up at the trade deadline as the last piece to a team that seemed destined for another title, had his best outing of the postseason Wednesday night. Scherzer was scratched from his Game 5 start due to neck spasms.
Scherzer looked like he might be in trouble after back-to-back singles by designated hitter Yordan Alvarez and shortstop Carlos Correa with no outs.
Scherzer was done after the fifth.
To get it done, Washington had to defeat both Gerrit Cole and Justin Verlander to begin the series.
Nationals left-hander Patrick Corbin (1-1) worked a scoreless three-inning relief stint.
Scherzer's first strikeout didn't come until facing his 17th batter, when he got Robinson Chirinos for the second out in the fourth before Houston stranded two more runners. They had a front-office fiasco in October, which led to the firing of an executive for a boorish rant at female reporters during a clubhouse celebration. But while this series generally lacked classic encounters - six of the games were won by wide margins - and was pockmarked by some of the worst umpiring since Leslie Nielsen portrayed Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun - it was abundantly weird. "You can't hang your head low about that", Springer said.
- Barcelona vs. Real Valladolid - Football Match Report
- Diaz doesn't reveal quarterback plan for Florida State game
- IPads, iPhones need software updates
- Baghdadi's death: More details emerge from United States raid
- Boeing to testify before Senate, following 2 deadly 737 MAX crashes
- Trump says likely successor of IS leader killed by United States troops
- HBO Max nets 'South Park' exclusivity for a reported $500 million
- South Africa heads to RWC final after tight win over Wales
- Klopp eager to play 'hungry' Liverpool youngsters against Arsenal
- Max Scherzer confirmed to start Game 7 of World Series