"I have a feeling there are some folks in the conservative movement who don't want to see Beto O'Rourke go away too quickly", Todd said. He was scheduled to be in Iowa this weekend and up through Tuesday.
Considered a media darling, Mr O'Rourke was seen as the breakout star of the midterm elections when he nearly defeated Texas Republican senator Ted Cruz in the traditionally GOP seat - falling just 3% short.
While O'Rourke, a native of El Paso, came close to defeating incumbent Sen. Ted Cruz, who ultimately won the race by less than 3 percentage points.
The decision comes as his campaign struggled to raise money and build support in the early primary states. Elizabeth Warren of MA tweeted.
The campaign spent $1.43 for every $1 it raised in the third quarter, according to the Texas Tribune, with payroll and related costs taking up the bulk of expenses.
Carlson reached the end of his mock remembrance by calling the former candidate "the unshackled id of the Democratic Party". Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., Sen.
But he could not catch up with front-runners like former Vice-President Joe Biden, Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren and Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders.
O'Rourke had been struggling to break through a crowded Democratic field.
Carlson then compared O'Rourke supporters to those of "an indie rock band that wasn't very good but was considered cool".
Democratic presidential candidate, former Rep. Beto ORourke (D-TX) speaks to media and supporters during a campaign re-launch, August 15, 2019, in El Paso, Texas. "Beto!" amid a steady rain.
Texas voters rejected O'Rourke's Senate bid because they decided they wanted less government - not more. We released the most ambitious voter registration and voting rights plan, one that would bring 55 million new voters into our democracy, and remove barriers for those who've been silenced due to their race, ethnicity or the fact that they live with a disability.
As he launched his campaign, he posed on the cover of Vanity Fair, telling the magazine about the White House race: "Man, I'm just born to be in it".
As the initial buzz over his campaign began to subside, Mr O'Rourke tried to reboot his candidacy.
- Stephen Strasburg goes from shutdown to World Series MVP
- Syrian soldiers killed in first border clash with Turkey
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Google to acquire Fitbit, doubling down on digital health and wearables
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War
- How daylight saving time affects health — Science Says
- New York Gov. Cuomo bids new Florida resident Trump adieu: 'Good riddance'
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- This is the Motorola RAZR with a foldable display
- US economy adds more than 100K jobs, unemployment rises slightly