A challenge by Heung-min Son eventually led to Gomes landing awkwardly and breaking his leg, resulting in rather incredible scenes at Goodison Park.
"The red card, issued by the on-field referee, for Son was for endangering the safety of a player, which happened as a effect of his initial challenge".
"I wish I didn't score, I wish we lost 0-5 and this didn't happen".
Son was in tears following the incident, having slid in and clipped his opponent, but not recklessly so, as they ran down the touchline.
Silva was far happier with the resolve his team showed to temporarily cast their distress for Gomes to one side and battle back: "It's a tough moment for us in our dressing room, but the spirit we showed after that moment on the pitch is a good answer for you", he said. "He can hardly pick his head up, he's crying that much".
Everton's late point was sadly overshadowed by a night of horror after Andre Gomes suffered a serious injury which forced 12 minutes of stoppage time. The team just [has] to sometimes say these things happen in football and, as terrible as it is, they do.
Everton defender Mason Holgate admits the players were determined to get something out of the match with Tottenham after Andre Gomes' devastating injury but their dramatic late draw still felt like a defeat. The players from Everton came to console him. We feel very disappointed with this situation by the VAR. I want to say thank you to the players and of course Coleman who came in on behalf of the Everton squad.
"In the moment it was a little bit confusing, everyone knows on the pitch what happened, but no one believed it was intentional".
"We are going to talk about the VAR because VAR need to check if it was a bad tackle from Sonny and judge the action not judge what happened after that was very bad luck for Andre", he added.
Ronald Koeman was sacked about this time during the 2017-18 season, with Everton sitting in a similar position. "We can talk about football but we are feeling bad, feeling sorry and devastated for what happened because it was so hard".
- Gerrit Cole thanks Astros fans in heartfelt note
- Remember: Adjust your clocks back at 2 am Sunday morning
- Washington expects to sign Phase One trade deal with Beijing in November
- Jets' Adams: 'Patriots don't take calls on Tom Brady'
- This is the Motorola RAZR with a foldable display
- Stephen Strasburg goes from shutdown to World Series MVP
- Article image Saudi Aramco confirms plans to list on Riyadh bourse
- Trump says he ‘can understand’ Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex
- No Kashmiri flag, constitution under Indian-imposed changes
- Google to acquire Fitbit, doubling down on digital health and wearables