"Then the time is giving us the next matches, the next weeks and months how we can continue with every player and with him also". If they conquer Arsenal on Saturday, they will be in the driving seat for the leading 4.
They then rallied after falling behind and levelled through Duarte's fine last-gasp effort before pushing for the win - nearly finding it as Mustafi accidentally steered a cross inches wide of his own post before Rochinha's drilled shot flashed across goal.
Arsenal defender Hector Bellerin claimed the Gunners' squad would rally behind Xhaka following the decision.
Arsenal's faltering form continued as a much-changed side limped towards the last 32 of the Europa League with a 1-1 draw at Vitoria Guimaraes on Wednesday.
"We tried. They are a very competitive team and it was very important for us to be strong defensively". At the time it was hard to deal with it. As a dressing room, we have to be together.
"We respect the decision of the coach and the club. We just don't know", Cross added.
"Again, we can do one step more with him".
Bellerin also opened up on a conversation he had with Xhaka in the aftermath.
"The good thing is when these things happen to you personally, you have a whole squad that can back you, a whole squad that support you".
Xhaka's absence against Vitoria means it will be the third successive game the player has missed, following his absence from Arsenal's Carabao Cup fourth-round defeat to Liverpool and their Premier League draw against Wolves.
They have won their last three matches in that competition and are also top of their group in the leasing.com Trophy, four points clear of second-placed Scunthorpe.
- Saudi Aramco starts IPO on Tadawul Exchange
- Iranians mark anniversary of USA embassy seizure amid escalating tensions
- Eight people arrested in Vietnam over Essex container deaths
- House impeachment inquiry requests White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney testify
- Manchester City skipper David Silva set to miss Liverpool clash
- Trump committed to Asia, says USA commerce secretary Ross
- Key facts as Delhi chokes in toxic smog
- Trump says Duchess of Sussex is taking press coverage ‘very personally’
- MPs elect new Speaker to replace Bercow
- Son Heung-min's reaction to Gomes injury was 'over the top' - Collymore