Congress leader Ahmed Patel, who was speaking later at a separate press conference, said the BJP had crossed the limits of "shamelessness". Sharad Pawar was seen as playing a pivotal role in bringing the three parties together and had held multiple meetings both the Congress' national leadership and the Sena. He had given his assent to Ajit Pawar.
The Governor had then invited NCP, the third-largest party, to prove its ability to form the government failing which President's Rule was imposed in the state. Sharad Pawar said that the NCP would never support a government formed by the BJP which indulges in horsetrading. "Some other leaders also came with us and we staked claim to form government", Fadnavis said. The unexpected development came a day after Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray emerged as the Sena-NCP-Congress' consensus candidate for the top post.
Their joint petition filed in the apex court late on Saturday, asked the court to issue a direction to the governor to invite their alliance, Maha Vikas Aghadi, to form the government.
Video recording of the floor test and placing copies of the video before the court and appointing a pro-tem speaker to preside over the conduct of the floor test were also sought in the application.
Congress sources too told The Wire that the NCP decision was likely taken by Ajit Pawar, without his uncle Sharad Pawar's consent.
Sharad Pawar tweeted that this was not the NCP's officially decision, and that Ajit Pawar (his nephew) had gone out on his own. "Two more are on the way", he said. They claimed they had no idea what this was for or that there was a swearing-in ceremony taking place. Subsequently, Fadnavis was administered the oath as CM by Governor Koshyari in a "make-shift and a hurriedly convened swearing in ceremony", the petition stated. "After the swearing-in, we went to meet (Sharad) Pawar saheb", he said. "Uddhav Thackarey called us on November 11, and we were here the next day", Ahmed said. The NCP until Friday was in talks with the BJP's estranged ally Shiv Sena for an alliance.
State NCP chief Jayant Patil will have all the constitutional rights till the next legislature party leader is elected, the official Twitter handle of NCP said. I presume he has submitted that list as a letter of support to the governor.
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War
- Pelosi says Trump's Ukraine actions amount to 'bribery'
- Crystal Palace vs. Liverpool - Football Match Report
- Joe Biden turns impeachment to his advantage in fifth Democrat debate
- Trump asked Apple's Tim Cook to help with 5G
- Spurs the flawless fit for no-nonsense Mourinho, says Berbatov
- Gordon Sondland Says Trump Directed Ukraine Quid Pro Quo
- President Trump says he supports Senate impeachment trial if House moves ahead
- Jose Mourinho believes he's become a better manager in the a year ago
- Smart money points to Trump charge