Andrea Swift, 61, was seen dabbing at her eyes with a tissue during the proceedings Sunday after seeing the 29-year-old artist deliver a medley of hits, including Love Story, Shake It Off and Lover. During her emotional acceptance speech, she seemingly called out the Recording Academy, which puts on the Grammys.
Selena Gomez kicked off the ceremony in her first live TV performance in two years after undergoing a kidney transplant in 2017 and battling anxiety and depression.
Swift accepted the American Music Artist of the Decade Award.
The previous AMA record was achieved by the late-King of Pop in 2009, where he posthumously won four of the prestigious awards; bringing him to a total of 25. Taylor Swift instead spoke of a "complicated" year and then praised her fans. Thank you for being the reason I am on this stage.
Famed songwriter Carole King presented Swift with the honor along with a package that featured some of Swift's numerous career highlights.
Swift said all artists want to "create something that will last" and the award celebrated a decade of hard work and art and memories. "You taught me that was a possibility", she said to King. "I grew up watching shows like this, and I would sit at home, wide-eyed, and watch artists in these attractive gowns and handsome suits stroll up and hold these awards". The talk show host, 55, threw shade at the Grammy-winning artist, 29, while discussing her Artist of the Decade award she was honored with at the annual show, along with five other awards.
Swift started her performance in white button-up shirt printed with the names of her past records, which are now owned by the owner of her former record label and manager Scooter Braun, a man who Swift has been publicly feuding with.
The official clearance came after Swift released a scathing Tumblr post on November 14, accusing Braun and Borchetta of blocking her from performing her pre-Lover songs in her medley at the AMAs. "I wanted to thank you for being the thing that's been constant in life". Not only was she recently nominated for eight Grammy Awards - including Album of the Year for Cuz I Love You - but it was also announced that she'll make her Saturday Night Live debut as Eddie Murphy's musical guest on December 21.
- United Kingdom : 7 Cops Injured at Cinema Brawl Over Rapper Film
- Florida 'ruff rider' dog goes for a reverse spin in a auto
- Here’s every single Amazon device that’s now discounted for Black Friday
- Hong Kong leader vows to 'listen humbly' after shock poll result
- Hong Kong polls | Pro-democracy candidates ride record turnout to early lead
- Trump accuses impeachment witness of lying, defends Giulianis use
- Chelsea were 'brave' against City - Lampard
- Advocacy group: Iran restoring internet access
- PG&E Will Cut Power In 16 Counties Starting Wednesday Morning
- McGahn Must Testify, Judge Rules