More than 165 million people in the United States are expected to shop on Thanksgiving Day, Black Friday, over the weekend and through Cyber Monday, according to an annual survey released this month by the National Retail Federation and Prosper Insights & Analytics.
For many retailers, Black Friday is seen as the day they turn their profit for the year; going from the "red", denoting deficit, to "black" denoting profit in accounting lingo that refers to the practice of recording losses with red ink and profits with black ink.
"In 2019, shoppers can research and purchase items from the comfort of their own home via everyday accessories such as laptops, iPads and iPhones".
"Black Friday is still a very major event, both for retailers and for shopping".
Many stores offer deep discounts to attract customers, and shoppers often line up early for a chance to grab a great deal before supplies run out.
With six fewer shopping days than a year ago, it will be the shortest season since 2013 because Thanksgiving fell on the fourth Thursday in November - the latest possible date it could be. In 2010, Small Business Saturday was introduced by American Express to encourage people to shop with their Amex cards the day after Black Friday. It really ramps up in the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving, as stores start trying to pull you into their brick and mortar and online locations with promises of Black-Friday-worthy deals.
"Consumers are expected to spend $1,048.00 on average this holiday season, that's up 4% from previous year".
The condensed shopping season this year accelerated early promotions and spending.
NRF expects online and other non-store sales, which are included in the total, to increase between 11 percent and 14 percent, for the holiday period.
Now, lace up your sneakers and get ready to shop. You cannot be in different stores at the same time, but you can definitely have several tabs open on your internet browser.
Dozens of stores across the country have plans to open their doors on Thanksgiving to start Black Friday sales. This year, Black Friday is on November 29th while Cyber Monday falls on December 2nd.
- Donald Trump ordered Pentagon to let convicted Navy SEAL keep elite status
- Honda reveals 2020 City: What has changed?
- Maurizio Sarri Admits Surprise at Sensational Paulo Dybala Winner in Champions League
- Taylor Swift's AMA's performance with Camila Cabello and Halsey
- Pop star Halsey wins 1st American Music Award after Grammy snub
- Court says White House must comply with impeachment subpoenas
- McGahn Must Testify, Judge Rules
- Albania: Powerful 6.4 magnitude natural disaster hits Tirana
- Chinese actor Godfrey Gao dies aged 35
- Federer and Zverev play in front of over 42,000 fans