Taliban says United States will suffer more than anyone after Trump called off landmark peace talks President Donald Trump's decision to cancel talks with the Taliban will backfire in the future, inflicting more damage to the U.S., the group said following a terrorist attack that put the Afghan peace process in jeopardy.
Talks between Washington and the Taliban sputtered in September without any formal conclusion.
Speaking at an unannounced Thanksgiving gathering on his first-ever visit to Afghanistan, where the USA has been fighting for the past 18 years, President Donald Trump solemnly announced the United States is "substantially" reducing its troops there.
"You know we are pulling way down in Afghanistan".
It was also expected to pave the way to direct talks between the Taliban and the government in Kabul.
"Since then, we've hit them so hard, they've never been hit this hard", he added.
Pakistan welcomes President Trump's continued willingness to pursue political settlement in Afghanistan by resuming dialogue with Taliban.
Last week, the Taliban released American and Australian university professors held hostage for more than three years, completing a delayed prisoner swap and raising hopes for a revival of peace talks.
The militants have long refused to talk to Afghan government officials, however, declaring the administration a "puppet" of the US.
Mr Ghani, who was only given a few hours' notice about the visit, thanked Mr Trump for pushing for "the type of peace that will ensure the gains of the past year and ensure your security and our security".
"That would be a major shift in policy. Tweeting, Golfing-and Surprising U.S. Troops in Afghanistan", along with an added footnote stating that the story had been "substantially updated and edited at 6:17 p.m. EST to reflect the president's surprise trip to Afghanistan" via additional reporting by James Crowley.
- Defoe strengthens Euros case
- US President Trump Signs Hong Kong Human Rights And Democracy Act
- Hong Kong police enter Polytechnic University as siege ends
- Black Friday Offers Some Perks For Workers
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- Storm Tracker Forecast: Heavy rain and snow return this weekend
- Four held for rape, murder of Hyderabad veterinarian
- Smart money points to Trump charge
- Trump denies telling Giuliani to get Ukraine to investigate political foes
- ISIL claims responsibility for deadly London Bridge attack