After an extended morning session, where Burns and Root added 103 runs without being separated, they continued right from where they left off.
The England captain scored his first Test century since February to give the tourists hope of salvaging a drawn series.
"I've played with BJ a fair while now with ND and it was quite nice to have that cool, calm head out there just to sit there and say a few jokes and keep each other pretty level".
In the last Test at Seddon Park, New Zealand amassed 715 for six declared after restricting Bangladesh to 234 all out before completing an innings win, and Broad admitted England will be following a similar blueprint.
"It's because when he bats like that, everyone's behind him and knows exactly what he can do". You can't get a six-for every time you step on the field.
Stokes was unable to cling on to the only chance offered by Latham, on 66, the ball bursting through his despairing hands as he dived to his left after the New Zealand opener had edged into the cordon off Jofra Archer.
'I'm not sure he said that I was the key wicket, ' said Burns of Broad.
"Ben's overs are not just a bonus, he's a world-class bowler when he's at his best", Woakes said. I'm glad that I made his words come true.
Root may not have been at his most fluent, and only 39 of his runs came in front of square, but he judged his innings on a slow surface expertly, reaching three figures for the 17th time in Test cricket and only the second time in 2019.
"I enjoyed the fact that I got it but at the same time I'm disappointed that I couldn't stretch that and me and Rooty couldn't stretch our partnership and get us deeper into the game". I thought, because he triggered so much, if I bowl it a yard before will it surprise him and catch him off-guard? If we're able to grab a couple of wickets early then I guess it's up to us to finish it off. But Root told journalists England were not in a position to name their side on the eve of the second Test with a question mark over Buttler, who tweaked a back muscle while exercising.
The first two sessions were dominated by Latham, who notched his 11th Test ton with a straight boundary drive off England skipper Joe Root in the last over before tea.
"New Zealand as a home team tend to win the toss and bowl and back themselves to restrict the runs in the first innings and bat big once", Broad said after day two when NZ were dismissed for 375.
Southee added: "There's always that worry when good players miss out".
"If a batsman really applies himself on these pitches and doesn't play loose shots and wants to just score in their area, they can be a real handful", Broad said.
- Manchester City played at a 'good level' in Newcastle draw says Guardiola
- 9 people killed, 3 injured after plane crashes in US
- 'Major Incident' at London Bridge Sees Number of People Injured in Stabbing
- Black Widow trailer decoded: Taskmaster, little 'sis,' and Red Guardian explained
- Manchester City are not low on confidence, says Pep Guardiola
- Democrat Witness: Evidence Of Crime Not Needed To Impeach Trump
- Charles plans to boot several royals
- Shanmuga Subramanian, Indian Techie Who Found Vikram Lander Speaks To India Today
- Katonah's 'small-town traditions' continue on Small Business Saturday
- Maltese prosecutors charge prominent businessman as accomplice in Daphne Caruana Galizia case