Amnesty International's Business and Human Rights Analyst William Nee said: "Arsenal does not need to endorse Ozil's comments, but it must be aware that it is at risk of being a tool of Chinese censorship if it subsequently punishes him for his views".
Arsenal forward Mesut Ozil should not have spoken out to denounce human rights in China, former Barcelona and Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure said on Tuesday, fresh from a brief stint playing in the country.
Ozil's message addressed "East Turkestan", the name Uighur activists use for the independent state they want to see established in Xinjiang.
"We welcome Ozil to travel around Xinjiang and have a look".
Arsenal have tried to distance themselves from Mesut Ozil's criticism.
The United Nations and activists say China has detained roughly one million Uighurs in detention camps in the Xinjiang region.
Beijing's exaggerated response to recent controversies is a reminder of the importance of sports to the Chinese state, which remains acutely aware of the country's inferiority, particularly at soccer, where their national team has repeatedly failed to qualify for the World Cup. Rights were sold for US$700 million (NZ$1.06bn) in a three-year deal that runs through 2022.
The Chinese claimed Ozil to be duped by fake news and no part of his statement expresses the fact.
"They burn their Korans".
"They shut down their mosques". Muslim schools are being banned... They kill their holy males. A report published by The Wall Street Journal has further raised the question of whether the Islamic groups have been paid by the Chinese government to keep silent about the controversial re-education camps in Xinjiang.The groups have denied the accusations, saying that they have always been careful when responding to globa. The women are forced to marry Chinese men. They don't make a sound. They have abandoned them. "Don't they know that giving consent for persecution is persecution itself?" the Arsenal star added. On Tuesday, Pompeo tweeted in support of the Arsenal midfielder, saying that the China's Communist Party (CCP) can not prevent the truth from prevailing inspite of it's efforts to censor and condemn Mesut Ozil and halt the broadcast of Arsenal matches.
- Mexico objects to USMCA labor provision
- Following violent night in Beirut: Minister of Interior requests investigation
- Russian Federation blocks Premier League broadcasts by Amazon’s Twitch over lawsuit
- SpaceX launches communications satellite
- Microsoft opens up the Microsoft Edge Addons store to developers
- Wall Street builds on record-setting rally; FedEx drops
- This week's democratic debate is back - Mother Jones
- Melania Trump has no problem with President Greta Thunberg being harassed
- Anti-CAA protests reach Mumbai; students take to streets
- Australia May See Its Hottest Day Ever Recorded This Week