The House impeached Trump on charges of abuse of power and obstructing Congress stemming from his pressure on Ukraine to announce investigations of his political rival as he withheld USA aid. The 45th President of the United States, Donald J. Trump, has been impeached.
"Anybody else this would be traumatic for them", said McCarthy, who noted that Trump in recent days has hosted White House holiday parties and will head to the 2020 battleground state of Michigan Wednesday evening for a campaign rally.
In an interview with Fox News on 12 December, McConnell (R-Ky.) said there was "zero chance" the president would be removed from office, and promised "total coordination" with the White House and Trump's defence team.
Conviction can only happen in the Senate and requires at least two-thirds of its members, or 67 senators, to vote in favor after a trial.
Vote on Article 1 - Abuse of Power was 230-197 in favour of impeachment.
Second District Rep. Brad Wenstrup voted against the impeachment.
"We did all we could, Elijah", Pelosi said.
The 45th president becomes only the third US president to be formally charged for high crimes and misdemeanors as prescribed in the constitution.
In a missive on Tuesday night, Trump said that impeaching him would only lead to easier wins for Republicans next year.
The two articles of impeachment are certain to pass in the House, where Democrats hold a firm majority.
An indignant and defiant President Donald Trump flew to MI for a campaign rally just as the House was preparing to vote on his impeachment.
Hawai'i Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, a Democrat who will vacate her seat following her run for president, did not vote for or against impeachment - the only representative to make that choice.
Trump's approval ratings have held steady since a whistleblower report and a partial transcript revealed he had pressured Ukraine's president to investigate Democrats.
Initially wary of impeachment for fear of blowback in next year's election, Ms Pelosi has since embraced the inquiry after a whistle-blower complained in September that Mr Trump was soliciting foreign interference in next year's election.
- NFL Playoff Bracket: Which Teams Can Make the Postseason in Week 15?
- Arteta set to return to Arsenal as manager in coming days
- Australia heatwave: total fire ban in NSW as temperatures forecast to soar
- Wall Street builds on record-setting rally; FedEx drops
- Russia, China Submit UN Resolution to Lift Sanctions on North Korea
- Top smartphones for gaming
- CHEO patients join Prime Minister for Star Wars preview
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- Here's how Europe's exoplanet hunter will unravel the mystery of extraterrestrial life
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester