Putin looked to back Trump, declaring that the impeachment was based on "made-up grounds".
"It's simply a continuation of internal political struggle", Putin told reporters, according to the Associated Press. "The party that lost the election (2016), the Democratic Party, tries to get results in other ways".
Democrats, Putin claimed - again, as Republicans did during impeachment proceedings Wednesday - have always wanted to impeach Trump and had been looking for a reason to do so all year.
But on Thursday Putin said the word "successive" could be removed from the country's basic law, a move that could rule out any such job swap scenario in 2024 when his current mandate ends.
"The overwhelming majority of our athletes are clean, and then why must all of them suffer?" And yet, for reasons the White House hasn't explained, Trump can't seem to help himself.
But asked to sum up his two decades in office - which saw him named premier by Yeltsin in 1999, serve as president from 2000-2008, again premier from 2008-2012 and then return as president - Putin said Russian Federation in 2000 and 2019 were "two different countries".
At his annual televised question-and-answer session by journalists and citizens around the country, Putin was asked about what he meant to do before the end of Trump's presidency to strengthen dialog with the usa, in particular regarding START (the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty). Putin said that China has come to challenge the U.S.as the global economic powerhouse, and he hailed increasingly close ties between Moscow and Beijing.
Both Putin and the Russian government have been the main focus throughout Trump's presidency, as the Federal Bureau of Investigation led an extended probe into the 2016 election and whether Trump's victory was aided by Russian influence on American voters.
Nevertheless, let's not lose sight of the larger context: Trump not only believed Putin, he also acted on that belief, pressing Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to pursue, among other things, a crackpot conspiracy theory about Ukraine's role in American election interference. The Ukrainians tried to do something, ' " one former Trump administration official told the Washington Post, adding that Trump never offered proof to prove his unfounded assertion.
- Cristiano Ronaldo: Did I really jump 2.56 metres?
- U.S. Democrats seek high-profile trial for Trump in Senate
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Comments On Erling Haaland Manchester Bound Talk
- Apple looks into beaming data to iPhones from satellites, report claims
- Trade Deal With China To Be Signed "Very Shortly": Donald Trump
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Tottenham Hotspur vs Chelsea FC
- I’m 100% Tottenham, Mourinho says ahead of Chelsea clash
- Indian Muslims needn't fear: PM
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester